• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

used vehicle inflation

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
You can buy a lot of gas for the cost of an upgraded replacement vehicle...
For better or worse, that’s where I’m at with it. Hate spending a fortune in gas but a gas sipper vehicle costs more than the gas unless I want some beater but that has the potential for needing lots of repair work which goes against what I’m trying to achieve. I don’t need another project, I need a gas sipper that I can drive halfway across the country without a worry and ideally if it breaks in the next 3-5 years, it’s someone else’s problem to fix. Trying to take the workload off my aging fleet so I can get caught up on repairs

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
My friend has a PHD and decided his F150 wasn't fuel efficient enough for a commuter car so he bought a used Civic to drive to work. And pays to maintain it, and insure it, and since he lives in the Vt people's republic, paid sales tax when he bought it. He's 68, I hope he lives long enough for the "gas savings" to cover the cost but I doubt it. Meanwhile his F150 sits a lot and rusts.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
For better or worse, that’s where I’m at with it. Hate spending a fortune in gas but a gas sipper vehicle costs more than the gas unless I want some beater but that has the potential for needing lots of repair work which goes against what I’m trying to achieve. I don’t need another project, I need a gas sipper that I can drive halfway across the country without a worry and ideally if it breaks in the next 3-5 years, it’s someone else’s problem to fix. Trying to take the workload off my aging fleet so I can get caught up on repairs
That's kind of where I was with my old Sport Trac. New truck payment is a little over $400 a month but I spend $100 less a month in gas and the old Trac cost me $5000 combined for the last two state inspections. Then this spring it lost a head gasket, I would have had to put repairs on plastic and to pay it off in a year would have been at least $300 a month. So I would have $8500 in a 13 year old vehicle with 212,000 miles, double what it's worth, and no doubt something else expensive would break sooner rather than later. Look at it that way and a new Ranger was less money out of pocket and it shouldn't give me any problems for the next 100,000 miles and if it does, well, it's on warranty.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That's why I bought my '97 a couple years ago, was $450 on Facebook Marketplace with a mismatched door and a bent I beam and no battery. All said and done with all the parts and registration I was into the thing for $1200 which took me a mere 7 months to make up for in the gas savings versus my '00 Explorer going from 16mpg to 22mpg, now it gets 24mpg after another $60 in some different used tires...

John97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Nissan Titan XD
Engine Size
5.6 Endurance V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
265-60-20
It's crazy here in FL. Dealer offered me almost $10K more than I paid for my truck.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
That's kind of where I was with my old Sport Trac. New truck payment is a little over $400 a month but I spend $100 less a month in gas and the old Trac cost me $5000 combined for the last two state inspections. Then this spring it lost a head gasket, I would have had to put repairs on plastic and to pay it off in a year would have been at least $300 a month. So I would have $8500 in a 13 year old vehicle with 212,000 miles, double what it's worth, and no doubt something else expensive would break sooner rather than later. Look at it that way and a new Ranger was less money out of pocket and it shouldn't give me any problems for the next 100,000 miles and if it does, well, it's on warranty.
My repair bills really haven’t been that high mostly because I do the work myself and have a pile of parts laying around, but it’s the constant repair work that has me on the ropes. Was trying to do bare minimum to the 92 while I fixed the green one, but that backfired on me when the #2 piston melted in the 92. All of my trucks need a good bit of attention at this point and with a girlfriend that lives in Ohio, I’m racking up miles. Cost wise, before COVID the numbers still didn’t work out, would cost me more for something new and fuel efficient than to keep driving what I have, buutt… it would take the workload off my fleet and put any repairs to the new vehicle on someone else while I deal with my fleet. Once the green Ranger is back on the road I should be good for awhile because at this point it’s getting pretty much everything imaginable done.

I see a lot of different vehicles at work and had pretty much settled on a Mazda 3 hatch for my new gas sipper until the new Bronco came in the other day. I might have to look into ordering one…

on the other hand, my 92 is pretty mechanically sound at this point so if it can get me to having the green one back up, then there is no huge need for a new vehicle. Because if I buy new, it’s less money I have for my property. I’d have more money if I went back to being single, but that’s an entirely different can of worms

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
I see a lot of different vehicles at work and had pretty much settled on a Mazda 3 hatch for my new gas sipper until the new Bronco came in the other day. I might have to look into ordering one…
Shults Ford in Wexford has a decent selection of vehicles and occasionally I see new Broncos on their lot. That's where I got my Ranger since it's like a half-mile from my work.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Shults Ford in Wexford has a decent selection of vehicles and occasionally I see new Broncos on their lot. That's where I got my Ranger since it's like a half-mile from my work.
F##k Shultz Ford?

Sorry, they left a really, really bad taste in my mouth years ago. They threw me off one of their lots years ago when I questioned why they were lying about the price of a vehicle (back in the day when you could find actual dealer invoice prices on KBB) they were claiming they were selling $99 over invoice but the invoice they showed had the number whited out and typed over and was about $4k higher than a better equipped model invoice that I had looked up. Then later at another lot, I had warranty work done. They ran my truck through the car wash (it was clean, I didn‘t ask for it, and they didn’t tell me). Scratched the hell out of the roof and when I complained they told me to get off the lot or they would throw me off.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Ive thought about what my next ranger replacement will be, glad Im not subject to inspection here, my 94 would of been a parts vehicle long ago. Ive considered letting her get a new escape and Id keep the 2011 for myself that we bought 2 years ago. (she then surprised me by saying she is interested in the new bronco!) Ive looked at a few 2wd 4cyl reg cab shortbeds, all in the 2003-2006 year range, most have nearly 200K on the clock and the “cheapest” was $3,000 About 4 years ago I bought the 94, had a budget of $1000, there wasnt much out there then, my choices of what I could find online was the ranger I bought and a 93 extend cab 318 dodge 1/2 ton that in the picture was up on blocks with the hood open and weeds growing all around it. There were plenty of good $2000 vehicles at that time but I only had $1000 to work with. I ended up giving 700 for the ranger and I don’t even want to know how much $ Ive put in it, granted quite a few parts came from a rolled ‘97 I had, Maybe in a year or few things will turn around. At the moment Im about to move so unless something majorly breaks Im not buying anything.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
F##k Shultz Ford?

Sorry, they left a really, really bad taste in my mouth years ago. They threw me off one of their lots years ago when I questioned why they were lying about the price of a vehicle (back in the day when you could find actual dealer invoice prices on KBB) they were claiming they were selling $99 over invoice but the invoice they showed had the number whited out and typed over and was about $4k higher than a better equipped model invoice that I had looked up. Then later at another lot, I had warranty work done. They ran my truck through the car wash (it was clean, I didn‘t ask for it, and they didn’t tell me). Scratched the hell out of the roof and when I complained they told me to get off the lot or they would throw me off.
Sorry to hear that. I didn't have any issues buying it or with service at Shults so far. Everyone I knew at Ron Lewis Ford retired and with where I work now it's not convenient anyway. Shults at least has vehicles, I was past Ron Lewis yesterday and they're pretty empty and the Chevy dealer across the street is closed. I was going to do my best to come home with a new truck that day before the liquid head gasket sealer I'd dumped into the radiator wore off. :icon_hornsup: 13 years old and 212,000 miles they're going to wholesale it to Ohio or the Taliban anyway.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals