• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Used oil for fuel

jeffw920

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
is it possible to distill the motor oil into thinner petroleum products? much like how gasoline/diesel/all other petroleum products are made from crude...

it seems to me that if it was filtered then maybe you could treat it like crude oil and make it into any "lighter" petroleum product.

not sure, any input?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
no.

the thinner stuff is already distilled out.

Unless you want to make your own catalytic cracking setup....

You cal use drain oil to "stretch" thinner products

10% drain oil into Diesel fuel

Or up to around 30% ATF into Diesel...

I've seen some people run Power Stroke Diesels on straight ATF

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've seen some people run Power Stroke Diesels on straight ATF
My brother works with a guy that runs his 6.9 on straight ATF.

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why wouldn't that cost more that gas. since ATF is $5 a quart.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
yes truck drivers mix used motor oil in there fuel... cuz a diesel holds so much oil nothing else to do with it lol! idk if it effects power tho?
It's against the law and a very BIG fine if you get caught.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why wouldn't that cost more that gas. since ATF is $5 a quart.
Used is pretty cheap when you work at a shop.

He has to filter it too of course.

hambone3693

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I happen to know a bit about this... I'm about to do this to a diesel datsun i own. Note that it is not dot legal. What we do is mix about five gallons of diesel with a 55 gallon drum of used oil. If you can get used hydraulic oil there is no need to mix in diesel. By mixing in diesel it thins it out enough that all the metal and crap sink to the bottom. Then i leave the bottom foot the drum alone. Meaning my suction pipe in the barrel doesnt go in all the way. Thats the easy part...
Now you actually need two fuel delivery systems. One of diesel and one for the oil. You'll also need to.plumb in two three way actuators. One for supply and one for the return. On the oil delivery what I'm doing to warm up the oil is im running it through a dodge trans cooler. It will have coolant running througto it too.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Friend with a dodge cummins does it all the time. Mix it at least 50/50 and you'll be fine since your filtering it. Plenty of people run with oil/ bio/homebrew fuels in diesels.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Quote:
Originally Posted by chknfkr
the old cummins multifuel engines will run on used engine oil as thick as 15w40, no filtering, heating, or mixing necessary. Whats more impressive is these engines which are commonly found in M35(deuce), M39(5-ton), and M809(5-ton) series military trucks will still maintain their rated output running on used oil.

I would for sure filter it, you are litterally at the previous engines mercy as to when you catch a couple fillings.

that systems filtration is made to work with used oil on the fly.

It's against the law and a very BIG fine if you get caught.
I happen to know a bit about this... I'm about to do this to a diesel datsun i own. Note that it is not dot legal. What we do is mix about five gallons of diesel with a 55 gallon drum of used oil. If you can get used hydraulic oil there is no need to mix in diesel. By mixing in diesel it thins it out enough that all the metal and crap sink to the bottom. Then i leave the bottom foot the drum alone. Meaning my suction pipe in the barrel doesnt go in all the way. Thats the easy part...
Now you actually need two fuel delivery systems. One of diesel and one for the oil. You'll also need to.plumb in two three way actuators. One for supply and one for the return. On the oil delivery what I'm doing to warm up the oil is im running it through a dodge trans cooler. It will have coolant running througto it too.

even with todays current standards you can run 7-8 percent used oil....perfectly legally....thats right from the epa. theres potential issues about road tax, which is why i was looking into some alternative fuel designations....for home made fuel...i dont mind paying the tax for road work... this will vary from state to state. weeks of calls to clueless nothing to get clear answers never produced any....basically for here, if your running alternative means...enjoy the tax break for being creative on the recylce end of things...your one of the few.

my engine is great at 30 percent and in some places is legal as well....as it is an acceptable way to reclaim/recycle. big thing with boats

my ol mechanical engine is truly an oil burner. as is any diesel....just newer diesels will suffer from clogged emmissions componants.

my psd runs better on atf then my idi. mpg stays about the same

they run about the same on motor oil...lose 2-5 mpg depending on mix, and slightly down on power.....dont really smoke bad unless extended idling....or normal wot for a few brief moments.

but really what i want to say is it is impossible, and will destroy your truck instantly and cost a million dollars to fix....so just leave all my local trans shops alone.....i will make sure thier oil is disposed of properly...thank you:D

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
10 years ago my neighbor, a former National Guard Motor T mechanic, bet me that my 6.2 diesel would lose it's injection pump by Christmas--it was in August. He paid up--a twelve pack--and my truck is still going strong with no issues. He's fat and bald and divorced now--my truck still runs brilliantly.

I'm all for these alternate fuel things, but in my truck, I'm only using diesel from the pump. This is the army that got me here and if I can go another 10 years, I'm not going to muck with it.

changed_my_name

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Guys, has anyone heard of or seen someone run a diesel on used oil? I mean used engine oil, used gear oil. I have means of filtering it really well, and also have plenty of it, we fill up a 270 gallon drum a month....
yes the old lister 6hp fixed place india clones can run of thier own oil. they can even do it backwards. my parent/uncles used to run thier w123 mecedes of of whatever.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
And my truck still clatters along . .often on blends...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals