• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

used ECM

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
on my 1999 4x4 ranger 3.0L manual trans. If i replace my ECM with one from salvage yard with same part number. Will it work or will it have to be reprogram. Don't have elec. door locks or elec. windows. Also replaced vacuum hub with manual hubs. Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ECM(PCM) doesn't care about 2WD or 4x4, or any cab electrics, it just runs engine/trans systems

In 1998-2000 the GEM(generic electronics module) controlled cab electrics, 4WD system, and speedometer

Which do you need?

werewolf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 & 1999 & 1
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0&3.0&2.9&351c
Transmission
Manual
My credo
take life day by day
I need the PCM for sure

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
A 99' will have the PATS security system. If you change the ECM you will need to also get the keys from the vehicle you take it from. The keys are programmed to the ECM. You can then have a locksmith clone the keys from the new ECM and cut them to your old lock cylinders. But your original keys will no longer start the truck.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, 1999-2000 Rangers with V6 engines had a PATS module which is "married" to PCM

You would need BOTH the PATS module and PCM with at least 1 working key from a wrecking yard vehicle
Needs to be for 3.0l engine with manual trans
2WD or 4WD doesn't matter to PCM
The 1999/2000 Ranger are unique, only years with separate PATS module, 2001 and up didn't have this, PATS software was IN the PCM, no separate module, so less of a hassle to swap

Ford part numbers always start with the year and vehicle model
XL5 = 1999 Ranger, X =1999, L5 is Ranger...........Y = 2000, 1 = 2001 to 9 = 2009, 2010 is A

Then a 4th digit is for the Ford Department responsible, in this case F = electronics

Next will be the actual Ford part number
12A650 = any and ALL PCMs for any model and any year Ford product

So XL5F-12A650 = 1999 Ranger PCM, but this number is the same for Rangers with 2.5l, 3.0l and 4.0l engines

The last numbers after this are unique to the engine and trans, but......................Ford NEVER published these, lol, no cross reference
So you have to ask seller what it came out of
You may be able to match yours, but there are probably at least 10 "post" numbers, that would work for 3.0l manual trans, and 60 that wouldn't

XL5F-12A650-??, or ???, or ????, so 2 to 4 post numbers that denote revision and firmware

Then there is a SOFTWARE number stamped onto the PCMs label, larger letters/numbers, this also denotes engine size and transmission type, but again Ford NEVER published any info related to these numbers
If you find a matching Software number then that PCM should work in your Ranger

1999 Mazda B3000 will use the same part numbers and software so are also a source for matching PCM

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals