• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Use XG-8 "baby blue" grease on PVH hubs?

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
You know the stuff, pure synthetic, designed by FoMoCo to end the infamous Driveshaft Clunk, and, as an added bonus: safe for all plastics. :unsure: Any reason to NOT use it? There's traces of some kind of dried up grease in there, probably NOT XG-8...

Mostly Duh PVHs just seem to run OK dry, steel-on-nylon, just free-wheeling in 2WD mode, zero load from the axles (except when hitting bumps, lol--see thread https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/plot-thickens-death-wobble-afflicting-my-4x4-torsion-bars-ranger-missing-pvh-hubs-allow-half-shafts-to-flop-around.184602/ for "D'OH" details...)

So I was thinking (Fair Warning: stay back at least 30 feet when I'm doing that), hey, it's time to get Ye Olde Pulse Vacuum Hubs back in action--oh yeah, with da switch, from da cab. (Already did the manual conversion, but they should still work when "the suck" is applied by The GEM, cuz the "boot" is still supple and intact.)

Back story: vacuum hoses disintegrated around 2011, along with the circuit board/sensor on the Transfer Case Shift Motor... 4x4 components haven't rotated a single degree since.

"Real" off-roaders like to diss the PVHs, but they're actually quite stout--lots of metal-to-metal engagement (unlike certain after-market nylon splined manuals), and it's always the vacuum hoses and o-rings that fail, not the engage/disengage mechanism itself. Heck I once pulled a stump in 4-LO, really taxed the 3.0 Vulcan (and clutch), but the PVHs, upon disassembly, show no signs of spline strain.

Anyway, I'll post pics as I rehab the better-than-they-look PVHs... using "baby blue" grease... unless I get a dire warning to the contrary.

Thanks In Advance!...

Last edited:

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
OK, first off, if you have a Biblical/Historical/Allegorical problem with the repetition of the number 6, six, or 6, :eek: SKIP to the next thread cuz this PVH device from FoMoCo is ALL about da SIXes: 6 spokes, 6 guides, 6 notches, 6 grease grooves, 6 pairs of retainer tabs, etc... (perhaps they were fans of the F-106 Delta Dart--aka The Six--but, then again... AREN'T WE ALL!??)

... there, cropped some sixes down to fours, lol... NOTE THE DATE CODE: 17 DEC 98... makes sense as mah baby came off the line in JAN 99, so Ford had a tight "Just In Time" supply chain even then. (OTOH, such date codes are usually much more cryptic than this, and expressed in fewer chars--think of your VIN--but hey, there's room, so just spell it out, lol...)

So this is the main body or "carrier" for the whole assembly. It appears to be a precision molded hunk of glass-filled(?) nylon(?), very strong, very light, < 3 ounces. This part doesn't bear any torque, it just keeps everything aligned, and plays a key role in the engage/DISengage function.

Even before I blasted it with Brake Cleaner, those 6 grooves in the foreground were empty/dry, but since it's the bearing surface for the INNER gear (splined right on the axle/half-shaft), I'm going to assume they are (tiny) grease "reservoirs" and will pack them with the "baby blue" XG-8 wunderlube.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals