• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Use an Audi/VW tool to remove Vulcan 3.0L fan clutch

mc17eln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
In my 2002 Ranger XLT with the 3.0L V6 (engine code U), the water pump does not match YouTube videos I found on how to remove the fan clutch. Neither the pump shaft nor the pulley has a hex edge for these fan clutch tools to help.

The Ford workshop manual for this model year and engine has this one liner for its removal:

5. CAUTION: The fan clutch has left-hand threads. Using the Strap Wrench, remove the fan clutch and the fan blade as an assembly.

This $16 one I bought doesn't work. Its nylon strap is strong but has too much elasticity.

At this point, I already removed the 4 bolts on the pulley, so the pulley was just hanging there, exposing the water pump flange with its 4 threaded holes. Then it dawned on me. I removed my Audi A4 cam sprocket with this counter hold tool. It comes with 2 pairs of screw-on studs, and the screw thread and size match the 2002 Ranger water pump flange EXACTLY. One of the reason I choose Ranger 3.0L is knowing that Vulcan V6 is metric like my Audi(s) -- and it pays off:

1. Use the same screw for the pulley to fasten the counter hold tool onto the flange. Take a bit of finest to get a tight fit.

2. Attach adjustable wrench (about 7/8" opening) on the hex neck of the fan clutch. The pulley can be moved around to make space for the wrench:

3. Counter hold tool after fan clutch removed:

mc17eln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Two more places I used this VW/Audi tool on the Vulcan V6:

Remove and install cam sprocket:

Remove and install harmonic balancer bolt:

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
7/8 open end wrench & a hammer has always done the trick for me...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals