• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

**URGENT HELP** engine revs up to 1200, then down to 1000, then below

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic

Attachments

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
OK have fun, snappy comments will not get you any further in your quest to find the part that was only used for half that model year. Peace out fella

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
OK have fun, snappy comments will not get you any further in your quest to find the part that was only used for half that model year. Peace out fella
Im in a hurry to get the right part, Read the OP , i have to go to work all weekend and im in a dangerous spot of having no vehicle or worse it burning down or stalling in an intersection im stressed out and angry that no one sells it

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I did more research, you are really in a bad situation. It seems you have one of the first trucks that they went to the returnless fuel system. You are correct in one of your first posts, it's a fuel dampner not a fuel regulator, though most parts places call it a fuel regulator. From what I am reading not even the Ford dealer can get it and it was only made for the first part of the year for your truck, then they changed it later.

Not sure what to tell you about your fuel line fittings either. I will tell you there are several guys I ran across that just left the original part in the system, and just plugged off the vacuum line and drove the truck like that. They said they had no problems, and that the original part didn't function that well in the first place. So if you need the truck bad, I think I would try plugging the vacuum line and trying it like that and see how it goes.

I think someone mentioned another possible solution would be to get the complete fuel rail off a little bit later 3.0 that has the different fuel dampner that you can buy. They did mention be careful and don't mix and match a flex fuel system with a regular fuel system, the injectors are different.

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
I did more research, you are really in a bad situation. It seems you have one of the first trucks that they went to the returnless fuel system. You are correct in one of your first posts, it's a fuel dampner not a fuel regulator, though most parts places call it a fuel regulator. From what I am reading not even the Ford dealer can get it and it was only made for the first part of the year for your truck, then they changed it later.

Not sure what to tell you about your fuel line fittings either. I will tell you there are several guys I ran across that just left the original part in the system, and just plugged off the vacuum line and drove the truck like that. They said they had no problems, and that the original part didn't function that well in the first place. So if you need the truck bad, I think I would try plugging the vacuum line and trying it like that and see how it goes.

I think someone mentioned another possible solution would be to get the complete fuel rail off a little bit later 3.0 that has the different fuel dampner that you can buy. They did mention be careful and don't mix and match a flex fuel system with a regular fuel system, the injectors are different.
I will have to hunt one down off of an explorer or a ranger at a junkyard

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
My truck is running a little better, but I still have a rev up and down problem. Anyone think this could be EGR valve also?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Take a old pop can or something like that and make a temporary block off to the EGR. Slide in under the EGR to block it off and see if that helps your problem. If it does you know where to look next. EGR valves like to get pieces of burnt carbon stuck in them making them leaky.

azrangerman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt 4wd
Transmission
Automatic
Take a old pop can or something like that and make a temporary block off to the EGR. Slide in under the EGR to block it off and see if that helps your problem. If it does you know where to look next. EGR valves like to get pieces of burnt carbon stuck in them making them leaky.
so you are saying to block it because you think its stuck open?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
so you are saying to block it because you think its stuck open?
Yes. What it does is introduce the exhaust back into the intake of the engine. Obviously you can only do this at certain times or the engine runs really crappy and can stall out. The computer controls when it's open and letting exhaust into the engine and when it's not. if it's burnt or has a stuck piece of carbon in it, it can let exhaust into the engine at all times, and especially at idle this will make the engine run really rough if it will run at all.

The block off plate is just a quick experiment to see if it makes a difference or not.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals