• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Urethane transmisson mount?

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I replaced my stock trans mount last summer with an Autozone part (made in India and looked like chit, but all they had) and now it's falling apart....no surprise there. :annoyed:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?displayName=Transmission+Mount&itemId=166-0&navValue=11200166&parentId=12-0&productId=713955&fromString=&itemIdentifier=713955_0_0_&filterByKeyWord=&categoryNValue=&isSearchByPartNumber=&categoryDisplayName=Drivetrain&store=2895&skuDescription=Dea/TransmissionMount&fromWhere=&searchText=&_requestid=412449

Has anybody used a urethane transmission mount instead? I couldn't find a direct fit one listed, but the Lakewood Polyurethane Transmission Mount (79-95) looks the same shape, size, etc. but it uses two bolts through the crossmember instead of two studs which really doesn't matter.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/lakewood-transmount-79951.html?utm_content=lakewood-transmount-79951&utm_campaign=YAHOO&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=Shopping

I want to keep good driveline alignment and have a bushing that lasts more than a few months. Any suggestions?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I bought my mounts at the Ford dealer (same experience with the piece of s#!t from Autozone). So far so good (4 years now).

Price was about $10 over that of what AZ was charging for theirs.

Sorry I can't comment on the urethane one though, haven't used one (looks like it would fit though, maybe see if 5.0L Mustangs cross over to the same part # for RBVs)

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you cant just put on urethane mount and leave the rest of the mounts stock, the urethane mounts allowed less movement and can break the tranny case, or crack the block. my cousins probe gt have 2 urethane motor/tranny mounts and 2 stock mounts an in 3 weeks he broke the tranny case

ammojkm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Downey is dead-on.

Urethane mounts are great for suspensions and race vehicles where you are trying to limit the loss of HP due to torque (where 0.0001 seconds means something...). On a "normal" vehicle, I would never use a urethane engine or transmission mount...no flex and the vehicle wasn't designed for it. Even if you didn't break something, you would feel additional vibration in the vehicle because you have lost the shock absorbing properties of the mount. Urethane is closer to being plastic than it is rubber.

This is one of those parts where it is best to stick with OEM. Fortunately, it doesn't sound like it costs that much more.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thank you. you can get them but you need them for every mount on the tranny and motor

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I fail to see how a drivetrain supported on three (3) mounts would be damaged by one mount being stiffer than the others (with 4 or more mounts, I do see how this could happen though).

The harder mount will definitely transmit much more vibration, fully agree there.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yeah may try the Ford dealer if its' still even available. Those aftermarket ones are total chit! Got my 91 Explorer tranny crossmember yesterday but the mount wasn't that good so I left it. Urethane will definitely transmit more vibration....not sure about the other breakage.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals