• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Upper Radiator Hose

84tony

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What upper hose or combination of hoses are you guys using for (5.0 w/explorer FEAD) and an 91-94 explorer 4.0 HD radiator in a first Gen? I bought an 97 Explorer upper hose but the radiator end was to big (1 1/2" ID), radiator inlet (1 1/4" OD)? I see that the foxbody mustang 5.0 upper hose is 1 1/4" at the radiator, anyone tried this upper hose?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I have a 351 with a Griffin radiator and made my upper hose by splicing 2 hoses together. I think the fox Mustang hose was 1 1/4" ID at the radiator- which was too small for mine. If you can tolerate it, they make sleeve type adapters to slide onto 1 1/4" nipples and use a 1 1/2" hose. You get bonus points for not using a universal flex hose.

84tony

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That might be what I need. I don't like the universal flex hose either. Trying to make it look mostly lake a factory install.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Slightly different setup here - I have a 302, Duff/Northern radiator and '89 Crown Vice FEAD. I used the factory hose from the Crown Vic and shortened the radiator end of it. Fits great. YMMV.

I did have to use a flex hose on the bottom. At the time I had nothing close on hand and couldn't find anything easily at the parts store.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
That might be what I need. I don't like the universal flex hose either. Trying to make it look mostly lake a factory install.
I know what you mean. I took my Ranger to a car show Saturday and it didn't get much attention because I tried to make the 351 look like it belonged in there and didn't stick a bunch on
new carb.JPG
bling on it.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
bonus points for not using a universal flex hose.

whats wrong with these if there are no other options to make it fit? After searching for hours to find the proper combinations I gave up and used 1.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
bonus points for not using a universal flex hose.

whats wrong with these if there are no other options to make it fit? After searching for hours to find the proper combinations I gave up and used 1.
There's nothing wrong with using them and there is no difference in lifespan of the part either. Some people think it makes it look like you cheated or cut corners on the install. I could care less. In my mind, if you spend 20 hours tracking down and cutting up a specific hose and then it fails for the next owner, they're going to struggle finding one that fits. Or they could just replace your universal hose with... another universal hose... and be back on the road in 20 minutes.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
thanks shran, was wondering there, as my engine for some reason with the angles they are a strange set-up. could just be as I have it placed. Works good for what I need it to do. cheers

84tony

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My concern was mostly cosmetics, nothing wrong with flex hose, I just don't like the look, but I may end up using it for the upper hose. I am using flex hose for the bottom hose. I don't really like the idea of splicing two factory hoses together either. Just trying to see if anyone had a single hose that fit with no or very little modification to give it a factory installed look.

SMUTCO70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Mine has 4 core griffin radiator w/ 98 explorer engine and has a flex hose on the bottom and a top hose from a econoline van from late 90’s(not sure the year ,found in junkyard) for my top hose with some trimming .

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
I just don't like flex hoses, they're OK for a temporary fix if you get a leak away from home. I also don't like the $.99 bolt on battery terminals, mismatched gauges, tires that stick out beyond the fenders, and Ford distributors installed so that the advance diaphragm doesn't point pretty much straight ahead. I figured out the shape my upper hose needed and spent time going through hoses at NAPA. If you choose to use a flex hose it will certainly work, I will also certainly not like the way it looks. I'm retired so I don't have to please a boss or customers anymore, I can spend extra time to get something to fit the way I want. You should build your truck the way you want it.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How about considering StainlessFlex radiator hoses?
Did this a while back along with upgrade from stock PlasticTanked 2Core Radiator to new AllAluminum 4Core Radiator;
were easily bent+routed+cut with short pieces of stock RubberHose for connecting sleeves + doubled up WormClamps.
I believe they actually slightly increase the capacity of the radiator, as she runs nice+cool in summer heat & slow traffic.
They look good as well.
2001.Ford_Cool.Rad4_APFO.2173_4of4.GIF

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I used a 4.0 rad with my 5.0 and I used one for a 1990 foxbody 5.0

84tony

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ramcharger90, can you take a picture more from the side of the truck so I can see what kind of clearance you have between end of the water pump and the radiator. I may have to move my engine back a little I don't think I have as much clearance as you do.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals