• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Upper ball joints on 99'

work2do

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
New member here thats thrilled to have this site. I'll be happy to contribute and help others too...Had an 01' 2.5 years ago that I took to 190,000 in 3years and replaced a timing belt, tires and little else with little troubles. Just bought the 99' supercab 2wd, 2.5 slow slug w/ 47,000 to make a living. Bought it knowing that the left side would need upper and lower ball joints due to ripped up boots/age. Both joints have already been replaced on the right side with the OE upper control arm still in place and greasable Moog joints up and low. It doesn't appear to be a problem to press out the lowers, but I undertand I'll be LUCKY AS HELL to get out the upper ball joint based on my research in the archives here. Obviously it's been done...HOW ? 20 Ton press, oxy torch, air chisel.....Should I just be damn sure I can drive down to the local parts store and pick up the whole arm/joint assembly if my attempt fails ?...Thanks in advance...

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
mine(99) and moms(03) had been replaced recently, but i dontknow the exact procedure, sorry, but i guess that it aint that hard, my mechanic did it really fast
maybe someone that had done this can help u more
oo and welcome to TRS!

Rangerman4158

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I replaced all my ball joints about 2 months ago and I couldn't find upper joints. I had to replace the control arm to me it would just be easier to replace the whole arm.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Yup, the upper is replaced as an entire control arm.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
mine got replaced only the upper joints, they sell individual parts here tho

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
The upper arm is replaced as a whole unit. I don't know if you can even order just the ball joint for the upper (I could be wrong though...it wouldn't be the first time).

Autozone shows both for it.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsShelf.jsp?displayName=Ball+Joint+-+Upper&currentPage=1&categoryDisplayName=Suspension+&+Steering&navValue=14600191&itemId=191-0&parentId=46-0

If you go through them, you might want to ask about their ball joint tool. It may work for it, not sure; but if it does, it would make the job a bit easier.

Last edited:

kennykenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As everyone has already said the upper is replaced as a unit...on a 4x4. I'm not familiar with the upper arms on a 4x2.

fordboi415

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0V6
Transmission
Manual
yes they do sell the entire unit and they do sell the parts separately. I just replaced the ball joints myself and yes it does require one hell of a press which i thankfully had, i don't quite remember though the exact amount of pressure it required to press them out. I paid about 70 bucks for the new upper joints and i got them from auto zone

work2do

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Greatly appreicate all the responses. I'll be buying the joints tonight (Moog upper #K8738 75.99 & Moog lower #K8771T 44.99, Advance AP) and will devote Thursday to installing them. I'll be sure to have the camera on hand and post the pics and write about the process step by step to share here if I live to tell about it. Really want to get the upper left in since it has been done by whoever the previous owner was on the original upper right arm.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals