• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Upland birds and small game, Reno area

vonD1025

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inch body lift
Tire Size
30”
Anyone down for some bird hunting and big game scouting in Northern Nevada area? I’m in Carson Shitty but down to link up for off-roading and hunting.

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I would love to do that some day. I never had a chance to hunt out west... upland or big game.

My new Beagle is 8 months old and he already bays while running everything he can smell in the back yard. He will be like my last beagle... run anything hot. Will tree a squirrel... run a bunny and flush game birds. I hope to get him out this winter and see what he does... it looks promising.

vonD1025

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inch body lift
Tire Size
30”
Looks like a good time.

I'm counting down until our waterfowl opener.

I've got a new pup that is ready to hunt!
I haven’t ever really gotten into water fowl just because I tried smoked duck one time and wasn’t about it. I’m thinking about grabbing my duck stamp this year and trying something different to see if I like it. Maybe do a Christmas goose or some shit. You in Nevada?

vonD1025

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inch body lift
Tire Size
30”
I would love to do that some day. I never had a chance to hunt out west... upland or big game.

My new Beagle is 8 months old and he already bays while running everything he can smell in the back yard. He will be like my last beagle... run anything hot. Will tree a squirrel... run a bunny and flush game birds. I hope to get him out this winter and see what he does... it looks promising.
It’s definitely good hiking. Chukar season is always a fun one for newbie’s. First times for fun and every time after revenge! I’m putting in for my first big game tags this year. 32 years old and I’ve only ever done upland- dove, quail, chukar, sage grouse, dusky and sooty and blue grouse. Bought more guns this year to prep for big game so it’s happening.

I’d love to run a dog, had an English pointer that was great but she got old. It would be nice hunting with you. I got an old 1889 Marlin 97” .22lr with the octagon barrel I love to run for rabbits and squirrels. Hopefully you have some good luck this winter! You training your Beagle for mountain lions?

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I haven’t ever really gotten into water fowl just because I tried smoked duck one time and wasn’t about it. I’m thinking about grabbing my duck stamp this year and trying something different to see if I like it. Maybe do a Christmas goose or some shit. You in Nevada?
No, I'm in TN, long ways off, but good luck. I love to watch the ducks work. It's a really good especially with my close buds I grew up with.

I would be all about a chukar hunt at some point. We just don't have any upland bird populations out here to speak off.

State agency is trying to re-establish bobwhite quail populations, but that will be a while.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It’s definitely good hiking. Chukar season is always a fun one for newbie’s. First times for fun and every time after revenge! I’m putting in for my first big game tags this year. 32 years old and I’ve only ever done upland- dove, quail, chukar, sage grouse, dusky and sooty and blue grouse. Bought more guns this year to prep for big game so it’s happening.

I’d love to run a dog, had an English pointer that was great but she got old. It would be nice hunting with you. I got an old 1889 Marlin 97” .22lr with the octagon barrel I love to run for rabbits and squirrels. Hopefully you have some good luck this winter! You training your Beagle for mountain lions?
I'm sure some of the hiking out there can be pretty intense... not sure I'm in that good of shape to be hiking up and down mountains. We have pheasant, ruffed grouse, quail, woodcock and some sharptailed grouse for birds. I just use some grouse scent on a pheasant wing that I drag around and we have squirrels and rabbits that frequent the back yard. He always has his nose on the ground... and I believe has a bunch of natural ability. I worry a bit that he might want to trail deer... but we will see when the time comes. No mountain lions here but we do have bobcat and yotes. I'm hoping he doesn't try to run either of those.

I gave up small game hunting for the most part to hunt deer for many years... the seasons pretty much overlap. There is a lot of conflict between deer and small game hunters. I'm going to be in a place with 10's of thousands of acres of state and federal land... I'm hoping to find a place to run my dog and not interfere with the deer hunters.

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
Since hunting dogs also seem to be a theme here I have a funny story to tell. I lived in Central Texas back in the early 70's. I was a California guy that had just left the Army and hunting anything wasn't top on my list at the time. A close friend Ike with lots of money and 200 acres with a good sized cattle tank invited me to go dove hunting with one of his friends. I had a pound rescue black lab that could retrieve anything I threw (frisbee, sticks, etc) and could probably swim the English Channel if needed. Ike had just got his 2 high dollar Champion Springer Spaniels back from a very expensive trainer and was ready to try them out. My lab, Uno, had never been around guns. We set up with lawn chairs, coolers, and a boom box (a Texas thing I guess?). The first covey flies over, 3 of us shoot and 3 doves are floating in the pond. Ike gives the command to his Springers to retrieve and they don't move; Uno took off for the brush at the 1st sound of gunfire. Uno finally came back, I held her collar, fired off a .410 to get her used to the noise. Another covey comes and we drop 3 more dove into the pond, Ike does the signal to his dogs and they look at him like WTF. I pretend a throwing motion to Uno, she gives me the same look but doesn't budge. There are now 6 birds floating on the pond, I pick up a rock throw into the pond, the rock sinks, Uno bolts into the water, retrieves all 6 birds, drops them softly at my feet with that "throw them again look". Ike is about to shoot his dogs. From that time on all I had to do was point at the pond and Uno would take off and bring back the birds. Ike borrowed Uno several times after that and everyone local wanted her pups. Sorry for the long story but I'm a big fan of rescue dogs and that dog was simply amazing.

Last edited:

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
My dad and uncle use to go pheasant hunting with an a old 4door sedan with suicide rear doors. Just drive fast thru the field smack em with the doors and they’d flop into the back seat. Kinda takes the sport out of it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals