• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Upgrading to L/S?

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
All of the offroading i've done i haven't had to worry about getting stuck at all. Mostly hunting roads, i don't do alot of mudding or such. But i looked through the tech library and found out i have a code 96 axle, which is 8.8" rear with open diff. I wouldn't want a locker, nothing that extreme, but i was wondering what is involved in upgrading to a limited slip? Is this something fairly easy and cheap? Or does it get pretty involved? Thanks for any help!

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 81874766E40C6A 5th, 2022

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The l/s carrier is different so it would involve changing it and then resetting the gears. It would be easier and cheaper to find an axle with an l/s and the appropriate gears and change the whole thing.

sloth69mustang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97, 97, 91, 69
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3, 4.0, 5.8
and if you dont get a whole new rear end and are going to just switch out the carrier..... i would get a locker if you are going to tear it apart. but thats me and i do everything extreme lol

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
hmmm ok, maybe thats the best way to go, i would imagine that would be easiest to just get the whole axle....i know nothing about diff's so i don't know how much I could do...