• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

upgrading rangers to 2005 what should i look for fi

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 1993 at about the end of its life and there is a used 2005 4x4 at my work for about 11,000 with 90,000 miles what are some common issuses with this year and with the sohc motor. thank you all

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
By 2005 ford cleared up the timing chain rattle, so you should not have this issue. If it has the 5R55E you might notice soft shifts, delayed reverse/drive engagement, or other quirks. The gasket between the valve body and separator plate usually breaks and causes these quirks. Soft shifts can also be caused by the EPC solenoid, which is a high wear part and at 90K could be getting weak. Both easy fixes. The truck has a live front axle so the electronic 4x4 is simpler (just the shift motor in the transfer case). Simpler equals reliable. Check the axle codes. A lot of 05s came with 4.10 gears.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
The engines run forever, the tranny is a weak spot if it's never been flushed regularly.
Gen 3's tend to use ball joints quickly although at 90k they've probably been replaced already. Front diff seals.

First thing I would do is change ALL the fluids. Both axles (the front has to be done by a shop with a suction machine), t-case, tranny flush, oil, and coolant.

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
ball joints sound like a bitch to replace on this and they look stock. soft shifts are not a big deal is it? yes it has 4.10 gears body is good paint is good. the only thing i don't like is there isn't seats in the back. the only thing i had slightly worried about is there seamed to be some grease above the trans pan on the corner of the front passenger side it looks like there is a circle (forgot proper term) grease could of came out of it or slightly above. thanks again guys

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i found a 2004 fx4 level 2 did the timing chain rattle happen in these? any thiong i should look for on this model? or same stuff

xentris02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic

ElleShooTiger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ball joints arent that bad, the upper ones are bolt-in. The bottom ball joints have to be pressed in, and can be done easily with a ball joint press loaned from any auto parts store. Its a good bit of work, but not terribly hard or expensive. I bought the upper control arms and lower ball joints for about $200 on rockauto.com. The originals were shot beyond belief at 240k miles.

If its an automatic, maintain it while it runs. But it doesnt hurt to stockpile a 5spd swap, I swapped our 98 to a manual for about $1,700 including a used trans and pedal assembly, all new clutch components, and $500 for a shop to do the labor. Its a lot of work but soooo worth it!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals