• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

upgrade to windows 8 or stay at 7?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Windows 95 computers were very nice (and highly sought after) in their day back when I was in middle school 1996-1999.
they were turds lol computers were slow back in the day, and I remember thinking that they were slower than dog s***. they probably took 5 minutes to boot, an OS that was deployed on 3.5" floppy disks :D talk about unreliability then too, sheesh. hardware has come a long way for sure

nutpantz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
they were turds lol computers were slow back in the day, and I remember thinking that they were slower than dog s***. they probably took 5 minutes to boot, an OS that was deployed on 3.5" floppy disks :D talk about unreliability then too, sheesh. hardware has come a long way for sure
Hard ware has come a long way, but sadly most people are still running 32 bit software that was introduced to the masses in 1995.
But then most tablets and phones so many people are switching to are not significantly better than that old computer and old system

'93BajaSport

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had a Win95 box that wasn't a turd because I didn't bog it down with new, bloated software. It ran Doom, Rise of the Triad, and System Shock with no problem. :D I even put an 8mb 3dfx Voodoo2 in it, which I still have.

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Windows 3.1 was a great evolution for computers. It moved a PC closer to working like a Mac. Made it easier for the common user to use a PC with ease. Windows 95 was even a better step in the right direction. Xp was probably the biggeest step in the right direction Microsoft has taken and was a very solid OS. Widows 7 has improved that and I see Windows 8 as trying to be something to fix something that was not needing fixed. I have not touched Windows 8 and have no plans of doing it either.

Windows 7 has won me out because of the sheer stability of it and handling of errors.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If you're a young guy with a fairly modern computer you have to keep up with the latest os. Once you fall behind with the technology it's very difficult to catch up, I know from experience, I'm an old fart.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had a Win95 box that wasn't a turd because I didn't bog it down with new, bloated software. It ran Doom, Rise of the Triad, and System Shock with no problem. :D I even put an 8mb 3dfx Voodoo2 in it, which I still have.
I was 12 when the family got a win95 machine. I miss it from time to time. Not as fancy as the newer machines but it had its advantages.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

User Name missing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just wished AutoCAD 06 would work on Win 7. That laptop has a 17" wide screen compared to the standard 15.6" on the old one which was always a pain to run CAD on (hell I mighta already mentioned this problem already on this thread...)

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Doesn't 7 have a Compatability Mode? Used to be able to install older programs on XP and Vista but you had to right-click the icon and choose Properties then choose the Compatibility Mode...then it let you select what OS it was compatible with...

I think there is even an install option with compatibility mode in it...or was...haven't installed any old programs for quite a while and haven't checked out the newer OSs for this feature...but I think it was called WOW (Windows on Windows or something like that)...

May be worth checking into...

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just wished AutoCAD 06 would work on Win 7. That laptop has a 17" wide screen compared to the standard 15.6" on the old one which was always a pain to run CAD on (hell I mighta already mentioned this problem already on this thread...)
Mark88 is correct. I was able to load 2008 Autocadd on my windows 7 laptop. Shane gave me a couple of hints on using the compatabilty feature. think I ended up just checking on Google.
Dave

User Name missing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
really?! I did a brief search and was told that I need the version of Win7 with dual boot (Win 7 Or XP). Hell if I know, I'm still new to Win7. I'll have to try it. Although I wish I could get my hand on ACAD 2010.

Saw in the BB add that they have Win 8 Pro for $70 or 80..............thats my answer right there. If they're selling it that low, even if its the upgrade version, it must not be worth a donkey turd.

User Name missing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well theres goes that idea:

You are not eligible to download Windows XP Mode. You must have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to run Windows XP Mode.

I have home premium..........what kinda happy horse shit is this MS?!

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
really?! I did a brief search and was told that I need the version of Win7 with dual boot (Win 7 Or XP). Hell if I know, I'm still new to Win7. I'll have to try it. Although I wish I could get my hand on ACAD 2010.

Saw in the BB add that they have Win 8 Pro for $70 or 80..............thats my answer right there. If they're selling it that low, even if its the upgrade version, it must not be worth a donkey turd.
I had actually printed the info out and just now found it. This is what I did - somehow, not really good with this stuff.
Dave
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/316-compatibility-mode.html

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Well theres goes that idea:

You are not eligible to download Windows XP Mode. You must have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to run Windows XP Mode.

I have home premium..........what kinda happy horse shit is this MS?!
I think he was talking about Compatibility mode not the XP mode, two different monsters. XP mode actually runs XP while compatibility mode (which all versions have) basically just tricks the program to think it's XP

User Name missing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
hmmm....will have to try it.....as soon as I get the chance >_>.....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals