• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Upgrade from Factory Pioneer Stereo

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Hello All,

I have a 2009 FX4 with the Pioneer stereo option from the factory. It has served me very well over the years. The only change I made was upgrading the speakers to Pioneer G series a few years ago and since then I have always been happy with the system. I recently started thinking about upgrading the head unit (because why not add another project to the list).

I would store the factory one away, should I ever want to go back to it, or dare I say, sell the truck. I was looking for a wiring harnesses that would allow me to leave the factory plugs intact and came across the Metra 70-5701 which I thought would fit, but cannot confirm. There seems to be very little info on this system. I do have the shop manual and will take a look at the wiring info for it (when I get time, which is in short supply at the moment).

Does anybody have any experience upgrading from this particular system? Any ideas or observations are welcome.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Does yours have the factory sub? I upgraded my head unit (mine has the factory sub), and I had to buy 3 different Metra parts and re-pin one of them to make it work correctly. I will dig around and see if I can find the part numbers for you.

BiggSherm1988

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
none...yet
Total Drop
not for me
I could be mistaken but if you go to a double din you have to permanently modify the plastic piece that holds the radio and all the ac heater controls. So why not just cut the harness and make a good connection, unless you will be installing a single din. It saves some work getting the harness but you cant go back to the stock head unit without seeing the cuts you made to the plastic.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
rubydist- Yes, mine does have the factory sub in the center console. I would not mind repinning them if I had to. I appreciate you looking for me.

Biggsherm1988- I am going to pull the radio at some point, hopefully this weekend. If I have to cut and trim, I may hold off on the project or look for a single din radio. Or I may even look for a spare Pioneer factory radio.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can confirm that you have to cut the outside trim to make a double din radio fit. There are plenty of these at the jy, so if you ever want to go back to factory you can just replace that trim piece.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here are the connector views. C290B is unique to the Pioneer stereo and supplies power, ground, and signal to the sub amp. iirc, that is the one that I had to re-pin to get the wires in the right place.

Attachments

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Rubydist- Thank you for looking that up for me. I do recall seeing that (I think) when I was going through my service manual awhile ago.

I think I may hold off on the stereo upgrade for now. If anything, I will pick up a replacement Pioneer stereo if I find one in my travels.

I recently started making a list of the various projects I have to do on all of my vehicles. I know I HAVE to do the core support on the Ranger this year. I may even strip it down partway myself and have a body shop do the actual replacement. With work and everything else, time is just very precious.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a perfectly good Pioneer unit that I took out because no bluetooth, etc. You can have it for shipping cost if you want it. PM me address details if you want and I'll figure out the cost.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals