• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Upgrade Brakes for towing: 93' Ford ranger 4x4 v6 options

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Asbestos is the best brake pad material...

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Asbestos is the best brake pad material...
I have a set of asbestos pads on my '49 M-1 (Mercury version of F-1); would you like me to send them to you? :icon_rofl:

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Good for oven mitts, too..... :eek:

Dvine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Awesome knowledge as per usual. But life happens and stopping isn't an issue anymore. Nither is towing. 150 mile trip was too much for the old truck. Tranny stopped putting power to wheels so look for my thread on questions and problems with Tranny swap out.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I upgrade my brakes for towing because the stock brake were not up to the task and came close to getting me in trouble a few times. I did it without changing the rotor or calipers. I use Akebono ceramic pads on the front and Raybestos Super Stop brake shoes in the rear. Raybestos doe not make the Super Stop friction material anymore but they or somebody else must have an equivalent.

I have two sets of rotors (the original and a spare), so I can have the rotors turned before I do a brake job with out having to wait for them. Those two sets of rotors have lasted me 252K miles so far without having to buy another set. I see no sign of having to buy another set any time soon. So, the Akebono brake pads are not hard on rotors. I replaced the rear shoes at around 50K miles and they are still in great condition without the need for any work on them. I just inspect them once or twice a year when I put my off-road tires on for an extended off-road adventure.

I have not had any problems with the brakes since this upgrade and I do a lot of towing my race car on a trailer that has a combined weight of over 3,500 lbs plus around 800 lbs of gear on the bed.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
The best brake upgrade is a full-size truck, Ranger brakes are adequate for a ranger with a small trailer but once you get past 1,500# your pretty much maxed out, even with trailer brakes, what if they fail for some reason? Ive had 1 full size truck myself, and while it was too thirsty on fuel to drive daily, nothing stopped a load better. 3/4 ton, creeper 1st / overdrive 5th 5-speed, 3.73’s 2wd but had the chassis weight to go through most snow pretty well . The extra weight of a full-size can be helpful when stopping, years ago I towed home a ‘72 cutlass on a tandem axle trailer, with a CJ-7. Had to (try) make a panic stop. No trailer brakes, slid all 4 tires on jeep more than halfway through the intersection, could of been bad, could of jackknifed. I do love the ranger chassis, but it has its limits.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
My Ranger easily handles towing a little over 3,500 lbs with trailer brakes. I never feel the tuck is at or near its limits. I towed the same setup with my 89 STX and without trailer brakes and I had to drive way ahead of the vehicle, allowing plenty of room to slow or stop. I did that for many years and when I finally installed an axle with trailer brakes I wished I had done it many years sooner.

Yes, the Ranger has its limits but I think it is well over 1,500 lbs., but you still need to drive like you have extra weight behind you.

Dvine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know it's been a while but I thought I should have some closure with my posts. Found out that she is wired for trailer brakes. The mico locks pressure in my brake lines. Put brake pedal to floor, pull lever out, remove foot. The brakes stay full pressure so I don't have to keep foot down. For parking a trailer on a hill. So the damn thing handles brake line pressure so all lines go into it. I'm sure there is a relay or something that that needs the mico to be connected correctly in order for the brakes to work and or turn over.
Well thanks for all the information. I was in aw when I found trs. Still can't believe that I had no idea what I was buying. I knew rangers are awesome because I see Soo many on the road from all ages. Also didn't know I was getting a Ranger with aftermarket stuff and every bell and whistle the 93 could have. You guys are amazing thanks again

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals