• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Upgrade 2010 2.3 Ranger

AyAnthony702

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
So I'm stuck on my truck right now. I wanna add some horsepower to it. I'm not looking for a lot of hp. Are there upgrades for it like comp cam or comp headers?i know I can swap in a 302 or 4bt but since I have a obs2 it would be hard. Is there any swaps that will be easy with a 2010 or upgrades that can amp up my truck a little. Thank you

Soledad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Duratec
Transmission
Manual
You might try asking on the turbo ranger site but I know that MSDS makes a header for the 2.3 Ranger Duratec's, I just don't know exactly for what years. And Crower makes camshafts for this engine but again I'm not exactly sure for what years. And I want to say that Bullydog or SCT or Superchips or one of them has tunes for the 2008+'s but once again, I'm not 100% sure on that. I think you can go with SCT and a custom tune but I'd double check that.

Hopefully others will chime in but that should get you started searching.

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We've talked about all of this before in your several previous threads about the same topic.

You have a lifted truck with big tires. Adding cams can increase power, but it's going to do it higher in the rev range, which means it will make it feel slower off the line (where rpms are low), and faster on the top end. That's the opposite of what you want in a truck with big tires. It's also a pretty in depth job best handled by experienced mechanics/wrenchers that requires more time and special tools. That's not cheap.

If you're sticking with the lift and big tires, you want more torque, not necessarily more hp. The only way you're really going to get significant torque gains from a 2.3L 4 cylinder is a turbo setup, and that's going to be completely custom. You can go back and review your previous threads about turbo duratecs to refresh what all would be required to make that happen.

If you want cheap-ish gains from small, bolt on mods you're down to removing the clutch fan, getting an underdrive pulley, and having a custom OBD2 tune written. MSDS does make a header for our trucks, but the factory manifold is essentially a cast header, so I'd be surprised if you saw real gains from a header install other than your wallet and truck being lighter. If I remember correctly, you're in the Vegas area somewhere, so removing the clutch fan, and reducing cooling might not be a great idea unless you also get the tuner to lower the trigger temp for the factory e-fan. You can do the tuner without removing the clutch fan, but you really shouldn't remove the clutch fan without a tuner.

Last edited:

Dirt addict

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What final drive ratio are you running? 3.73, 4.10, ? Depending on tire size, type of driving you do, a gear change may help with torque at lower rpms.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
please review the first line in post 3

Dirt addict

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just got my 2010, 2.3 manual 5 spd back from the mechanic. I had a ford racing 4.10 ring and piñon put in. It did have a 3.73 ratio. I bought it used, with 235/75/15 tires and steel 15" wheels. It was anemic prior to the 4.10. On inclines I needed to down shift to 3rd on some hills on the freeway. It is SOOO much better. I was worried that 1st gear would be too short. Not an issue. I'm calling it a win/win. I'm very happy with it. It seems to have gotten a few dings while at the shop, but I could be wrong...definitely came back with some grease smears on the sides.. Grrrr.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
3rd gear on the highway? Wow
My moms 03 2.3 has 235/70tires on edge wheels and 3.73 gears, it feels just fine and wont need more than 4th gear to climb inclines. Maybe 3rd if traffic is slow. Its close to 200k miles too

justknah

Reaction score
Have 03 ranger clutch hose pops off

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

justknah

Reaction score
All new hose ,and all but as soon as try to pump clutch to bleed it just pops off? Help please

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals