• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Updating the Tech Library Transmission section - Suggestions Needed

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would love to see a rebuild guide for the good ol a4ld

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would love to see a rebuild guide for the good ol a4ld
I think it is about the same as changing batteries in your tv remote.

Chuck and replace. :D

Seriously though, I got a neat book that covers Ford transmissions for $25 at the local parts store, very informative.

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah i feel ya, whats the name of that book? could come in handy

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah i feel ya, whats the name of that book? could come in handy
I found it, it is a Haynes techbook. I knew it covered a bunch of Ford tranny's but it is basically just the C3-6, AOD and some FWD tranny's but no A4LD. I found it on Hayne's website and gave the local parts store the part number and they ordered it. If you want a book you might check and see what they have if anything for the A4LD.

I got it for my C5 I am using in my V8 swap and it has been very helpfull.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
I'd like to see a writeup on swapping a M50D into an '83-'84 4X4 Ranger. Mainly a list of parts and changes.
i wish i would have taken pics to do a write up on a4ld to my m5od's pedal assembly. dont have much on taking the a4ld out, but i can lay all the parts out and take pics and put together a write up if u would like. i have all my part numbers, and can do a real write up when i go to put things in. i just have the a4ld out, flexplate and spacer off, and shifter removed. havent started reassembling yet. but this does need a good write up with pics. so i guess ill put one together and post it up for u or pm u, whatever u prefer. there are absolutely no pics on first gen a4 to 5spd swaps

CountryBoy704

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
t5 swap piece

maybe add to the t5 swap in tech library?

theres a part sold by summit racing that claims to allow "Standard Ford Bellhousing to T-5 Transmission" - note i have not used this but it looks like we now have another option as the AA adapters were discontinued but they do not specify what applications it will work for

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MCL-8608/Application/?prefilter=0

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual

briansz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
T5 with hydraulic bellhousing is NOT a direct swap in a Gen 1

Just a FYI, I'm about 80% of the way through a T5 swap in my '83 longbed. My truck was stock with the TK4 and I had upgraded to the TK5, which recently began grinding a little in first and reverse.

I pulled my T5 from a 1987 Turbo Coupe and got the bellhousing, slave, mounts, pretty much everything except the front yoke from the driveshaft. I picked up one of those from a 4-cylinder Mustang with a T5 - and it's lucky I did.

The good - the flywheel is the same, the starter works, the '83 hydraulic slave cylinder from the truck is the same part number as the one for the '87 Turbo Coupe. Stock replacement clutch kit for a TC was $92 new (needed due to different spline count).

The not so good - the T5 is 3/4" longer from the face of the bellhousing to the back of the case than the TK5. This might not be a big deal except that the nose of the front yoke from the Mustang with T5 is substantially longer than the one from the Ranger with TK4/TK5. I have another shaft from a M5R1 equipped Ranger and it also has the short nose on the front yoke. I don't feel like there is enough clearance to allow for driveshaft motion due to heavy loads or large bumps. If there isn't enough travel, the large balance ring on the front yoke could contact the tailhousing of the T5, which might be quite bad at speed.

The M5R1 and TK5 front yokes will not slide onto the output shaft of the T5. The diameter of the T5 output shaft is larger.

The stock '83 Ranger crossmember will need some modification to work with the TC tranny mount and the T5 mounting plate. The crossmember is too close to the bottom of the cab by 3/4" to 1". This will require fab work and welding. I'll post pix when I make the modifications.

Obviously the floor pan needs to be modified as well. The shifter is not 9" further back on the T5 compared to the TK5. It's about 3.5" further back. I made a metal plate out of the top cover of a server <lol>, cut out the floor pan, and used my flanging tool to create a lip. Going to get some peel and seal from Home Depot to line the bottom of the plate with.

The TC inner shifter boot does not work well in the Ranger. The one from the TK5 is a much better match.

The shifter handle from the TC needs to be straightened as it nearly hits the driver's bucket seat in 2nd gear if it is not reversed.

I'll talk with a driveshaft shop in the next couple days to see about shortening one of my two shafts.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
I've scouring the web for some time now and can't seem to find enough info on T-5 swaps. Particularly behind a 2.3L.
HERE HERE!!:icon_welder:

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Im doing the same thing

Just a FYI, I'm about 80% of the way through a T5 swap in my '83 longbed. My truck was stock with the TK4 and I had upgraded to the TK5, which recently began grinding a little in first and reverse.

I pulled my T5 from a 1987 Turbo Coupe and got the bellhousing, slave, mounts, pretty much everything except the front yoke from the driveshaft. I picked up one of those from a 4-cylinder Mustang with a T5 - and it's lucky I did.

The good - the flywheel is the same, the starter works, the '83 hydraulic slave cylinder from the truck is the same part number as the one for the '87 Turbo Coupe. Stock replacement clutch kit for a TC was $92 new (needed due to different spline count).

The not so good - the T5 is 3/4" longer from the face of the bellhousing to the back of the case than the TK5. This might not be a big deal except that the nose of the front yoke from the Mustang with T5 is substantially longer than the one from the Ranger with TK4/TK5. I have another shaft from a M5R1 equipped Ranger and it also has the short nose on the front yoke. I don't feel like there is enough clearance to allow for driveshaft motion due to heavy loads or large bumps. If there isn't enough travel, the large balance ring on the front yoke could contact the tailhousing of the T5, which might be quite bad at speed.

The M5R1 and TK5 front yokes will not slide onto the output shaft of the T5. The diameter of the T5 output shaft is larger.

The stock '83 Ranger crossmember will need some modification to work with the TC tranny mount and the T5 mounting plate. The crossmember is too close to the bottom of the cab by 3/4" to 1". This will require fab work and welding. I'll post pix when I make the modifications.

Obviously the floor pan needs to be modified as well. The shifter is not 9" further back on the T5 compared to the TK5. It's about 3.5" further back. I made a metal plate out of the top cover of a server <lol>, cut out the floor pan, and used my flanging tool to create a lip. Going to get some peel and seal from Home Depot to line the bottom of the plate with.

The TC inner shifter boot does not work well in the Ranger. The one from the TK5 is a much better match.

The shifter handle from the TC needs to be straightened as it nearly hits the driver's bucket seat in 2nd gear if it is not reversed.

I'll talk with a driveshaft shop in the next couple days to see about shortening one of my two shafts.
How did you solve the drive shaft problem? THANXS!:icon_welder:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

rednine4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think putting together a basic rebuild write up on a C4 and C6 transmission would be helpful. Or at least a how to upgrade the C5 to a C4 for firmer shifts etc... just my .02

littlefordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
would any know if i could change my 4.0 auto 2000 ranger to a manual? :3gears::shout:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
would any know if i could change my 4.0 auto 2000 ranger to a manual? :3gears::shout:
I know, but this isnt the place to ask about it. This is a thread about updating the info in the tech library. (<------ a good place to start looking for your answer.)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals