• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Updating the Tech Library Transmission section - Suggestions Needed

motorhawg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 ford range
Transmission
Automatic
I'll take any write ups you guys want to submit. Transmissions are topics that are frequently searched on this website. We can never have too much info.
I couldn,t agree more with you, Jim, about the need for more info concerning transmission swaps. As Clint Eastwood said in one of the spaghetti westerns,"Sometimes a man's life depends on a mere scrap of information".

basketranger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
what RBV engines & transmissions will mate up with one another?????????????

welder-wrench

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
How about info on swapping in a ZF five speed behind a V8 into a ranger.

How about info on swapping in a ZF behind a 302 into a ranger. Its got a good first gear and I know it can be done, just don't know if the transfercase would bolt up.:icon_idea:

welder-wrench

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What about a C-6

I know this trans. is pretty big, but as well as the ZF, I have heard of people getting a C-6 in there rangers and B-2s.

LittleHorse

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I know this trans. is pretty big, but as well as the ZF, I have heard of people getting a C-6 in there rangers and B-2s.
an E4OD would be a good one too. I'm planning a 302 swap and haven't really decided between AOD and E4OD.

I was under the impression that the ZF was way too big for the tunnel, even with a 3" body lift, and required huge modification to the tunnel and firewall. I could be wrong though.

welder-wrench

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I see advances adaptors makes a adaptor for a 60 deg. th700 behind a 4.0 v-6. It might be interesting to see if it worth it or not.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What about info about the 4R44E shift kits/valve bodies??

kenwheeler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Transmission Identification

I think the website, DRIVETRAIN.COM should be included in your tech library. It allows you to indentify the actual transmission in your vehicle using the identification tag on the side of the tranny. Using the tag takes away guesswork. You don't have to wonder if the previous owner replaced the transmission, your truck is an off year with a different trans or use a picture to identify your current transmission.

Green 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I've scouring the web for some time now and can't seem to find enough info on T-5 swaps. Particularly behind a 2.3L.

FrankBoss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I agree.. we need more swap information for the 2.3L tranny.
My 84 2wd is on it's 6th TK, and I haven't found squat about swaps...
it's getting harder to keep the old truck on the road,

FrankBoss

Twisted4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
78, 400; 88, 2.3; 89, 2.3; 98, 3.0
Transmission
Manual
Here is a website Ive found for fans of the 2.3 like myself. http://stinger-performance.com/ Ive found on here that you can bolt a small block Ford tranny to a 2.3 via their bellhousing adapter. These guys are as much into the 2.3 Mustangs, SVO's, and Thunderbird Turbos as we are about RBV's :headbang: They also go into great depth about 2.3 builds and mods to gain more than ever imagined power from these great little blocks. Check em out and see what you think.

cutch9977

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Jim,
If interested, i could write up a tech page/FAQ on the A4LD, 4R44E/5R55E auto trannys. A lot of questions I see here are very common issues.
please ive tried several time to get someone to tell me where to start with my 4r44e 2-3 shift flare

NixRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
who else makes
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
How about swapping out the Toyo Kogyo

Read somewhere a while back about doing an upgrade from that tranny but lost it.

Getting estimates of $700 - $1600 to rebuild mine, was hoping to use a trans from a newer year truck, like the M50 or FM145.

Mine's an XL model, 2WD, 2.8 V6, got nearly 300K on my tranny. Shops say there's a rebuild kit available, but what about worn gears and stuff like that??

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'd put Cubewhiz's trans swap write up in, and then maybe splice in my section about the drive shaft swap.

Cube said he used my write up as a guide, but he took much better pictures and many more of them than I did, and most of the info from one FM swap applies to the other.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
Too lazy to sign up on blueovaltrucks but i did notice in the tech section over there you have the np435 wide ratio reverse gear listed as 8.02, it should be 8.26. I've counted the teeth myself. I think gwaii can confirm this as well.

also my third gear is 1.74 not 1.66, perhaps gwaii might be able to confirm this as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals