• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Updating the 4.0L Tech Page - Suggestions Needed

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
detailing, and exhaust sound off section

coopab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
SOHC or OHV in 99 Ranger XLT

I don't know if it would belong in the 4.0L tech, but I would love to see a non-biased review of the different 4.0L variants (OHV, SOHC).

PARTIALLY SNIPPED
I wholeheartedly concur with this as I own a '99 4.0 XLT 4X4 which I got with 220K mi on the odometer. I'm thinking of doing a used engine swap and here's where it gets complicated. It appears that a previous owner already put a different engine in it as I outlined in this thread
I entered my trucks VIN at CarPart.com and it comes up with a lot of 2000 Explorer engines most of which state OHV. My understanding is that my truck should have an SOHC engine.
The existing motor (a used one??) says it's OHV EXPL and has an April 2000 date on a sticker on the driver's side valve cover.

If I keep this motor which spark plug do I use? If I swap it for an SOHC motor can I use one from a later model, say an '02-'06?

I'm sure there are other questions pertinent to these Rangers built during the time period where the OHV to SOHC changer took place.

coopab

coopab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
I've been looking at used motors to replace the existing one in my 99 (OHV) Ranger. I looked in the tech info section for a step by step guide for removing the old one and found most of the information is pertinent to upgrading from older to newer V-6 engines.
I found a 40 step guide for removing my engine at ARRC (Auto Repair Reference Center) and saved it as an 8 page PDF file. Online access is provided through my local public library and EBSCO Publishing. I would be happy to provide a copy of the PDF if it would be useful. Or a link to the file at a cloud server.

FilthySnipe

Reaction score
I'm thinking of dropping a 4BT in mine. I'm tired of the crappy gas mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rangerjunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Sohc engine interchange

We need to know what fits ranger Explorer Mustang and is it the heads the short block emissions water ports or what that makes them interchange or not interchange thanks again for letting me post! :headbang:

Arkie 2001

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
guns don't kill people people kill people
fuel system

the fuel filter on my 2001 sohc has a bolt thru the frame rail with a tab above it. two major parts store chains tried to sell a filter with the tab forward of the bolt, the parts store shows a design change on built before 05/01 or after. mine was built on 08\00 and I was very specific 2001 ranger edge 4 door(ext Cab) 4x4 pure stock and by the way one owner with 79,850 miles oil changes on time, air filter every other year, regular gas and tires twice. last week changed out original plugs. this week changed out original fuel filter. yes got a good one. if it ain't broke don't fix it. had to read a lot of post to find the fuel filter then figure out if I needed the removal tool or was that required for the ohv series. suggestion simple had to read 25 pages of post trying to find relivent info.

93rangerxlt-ca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Compression issue fixes for the 5th cylinder on the ohv. At the same time ive got fuel burnin rich so i thought i had a stuck valve, but then i read soethig on here that the lower intake manifold gasket not properly sealing can cause this problem. Its also looses a quart of oil by the time i do an oil change(every 3000 miles or whenever i get bored, whichever comes first)

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know if it would belong in the 4.0L tech, but I would love to see a non-biased review of the different 4.0L variants (OHV, SOHC).

For example, I currently have the OHV version, and could tell just about anybody willing to sit down what I love about this engine, but I don't really know squat about the SOHC (reliability, usable power, towing ability) in relationship to it's OHV cousin. I think that a good comparison from someone who's had both would be benificial.

I will be doing a search soon to see if anyone has any strong opinions about the SOHC because I'm thinking of updating to a '02 4WD, and would like some good opinions before getting out of my comfort zone. Obviously, the truck in my sig has given me more that it's share of service, but I'd like to have something that doesn't need a major repair ever year around January 15th, when it's 20 degrees out ;)
lol i preferred their OHV engine as well, my parents have the SOHC engine in there explorer and i could write an paper about how dated and old it feels

morsetaper2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Going to change spark plugs. I look in my factory manual, pull the easiest plug I can get to, to verify p/n to manual. Go on to order plugs. P/N's aren't jiving w/ OE factory installed plugs. Read over forum for past experience. Numerous hours later, still confused as to what spark plug. My god man, I know modern vehicles are complicated. But the amount of non-corroborating discussion out there on spark plugs for 4.0 Rangers ...

I spent more effort on trying to find the cross referenced dbl platinum spark plug #. Only to arrive back at the fordparts.com replacement recommendation for a nickel electrode plug (SP-412). Than it took to install all the plugs! And things are just fine. I'm happy, as is my truck.

Thanks to adsm08 for an injection of knowledge & common sense. But a spark plug guide would be helpful, the current is out of date by quite a few years. But grateful to have this resource. Thank You!

Broosedamoose

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31 x 10.5
My credo
Coming in second just makes you the first loser!
Swapping gauge cluster lights in a 2004+ Ranger. OEM bulbs are 2721 incandescent . To change to LED use 74 bulbs. I just did this so I know they work fine. I purchased the 3-LED bulbs from SuperBright.com: 74 3-LED Bulbs

Francesco Auteri

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
1995 Ford Range
Transmission
Manual
Why is there no simple functional organization as in any of the repair manuals (i.e. Hayes, Clymer, ... )?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals