• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Updating the 3.0L Tech Page - Suggestions Needed

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That coil and ignition wires did not play well with a supercharged engine, the stock coil and Belden wires were the ticket

JP02XLT

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Installing an MSD Ignition On a 3.0

The part #MSD-6200 is discontinued but the new part #MSD-6201 the price is now is $250+. The coil part number is still good.

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
I just received my 3.0 Taurus intake. The post I found said to also get a Escape 60mm TB or a 65mm from an Explorer. The opening in the new intake is 52mm at best. Is that worth the swap?
I also bought a town and country elec fan. I was quite sure that was the recommended part to use. I had to cut 3" off each side to get it mounted in place. I'm happy with it and saw a power gain and mpg gain (2.5) but it definitely wasn't a drop in part like stated. This may be some updates for you to add

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
"drop in" is a vague term somewhat like;

A "few" beers
Or
In a little while
Or
Down the road a piece.

If it didn't involve "a lot" of drilling, grinding, welding, or especially thinking, then it is "drop in".

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
A 14% improvement in mileage from an electric fan seems unrealistic. No manufacturer would pass that up, and it's not like Ford didn't know about electric fans. Keep track of it long term and see what you get.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
but what you gain in not spinning a fan mechanically, dont you lose in more alternator drag from the increased current draw of a electric fan?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
There is some trade off there but I don't think it's equal. The mechanical fan is always putting some drag on the engine whether the clutch is engaged or not. It's mass is still attached to the engine and spinning at some speed. The electric fan doesn't require any power when it's not being called for.

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
My best mpg was 17.2 pre fan and post fan I just got 20mpg. I check every tank. I do think that mine was bad and never would release, that may be why I see good results. Eric, I like that lol.

I really think I should have seen better than 17 to start with but this lil truck was beat.

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
A 14% improvement in mileage from an electric fan seems unrealistic. No manufacturer would pass that up, and it's not like Ford didn't know about electric fans. Keep track of it long term and see what you get.
Back then the fan/clutch combo was probably cheaper overall. No wires, relays, larger alt. ect ect,...... Price drives many decisions

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Back then the fan/clutch combo was probably cheaper overall. No wires, relays, larger alt. ect ect,...... Price drives many decisions
The cheapest cars they make have electric fans. It's not an expensive technology and has been worked out for over 40 years, so I don't really buy that they went with a mechanical fan and clutch to save money. Additionally, automakers go to great lengths to improve mileage ratings, so if they could get that kind of improvement just by using off-the-shelf parts they install on the vast majority of cars these days anyway, I have no doubt they would have. This is why I'm skeptical that the switch to an electric fan will produce that kind of improvement - if it did they would not still be using mechanically driven clutch fans.

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
The cheapest cars they make have electric fans. It's not an expensive technology and has been worked out for over 40 years, so I don't really buy that they went with a mechanical fan and clutch to save money. Additionally, automakers go to great lengths to improve mileage ratings, so if they could get that kind of improvement just by using off-the-shelf parts they install on the vast majority of cars these days anyway, I have no doubt they would have. This is why I'm skeptical that the switch to an electric fan will produce that kind of improvement - if it did they would not still be using mechanically driven clutch fans.
Keep you fan in place then.

A Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You know, I hear a lot of people saying most mods are worthless. I get that the manufacturer (Ford in this case) really does their research beforehand, but it seems to me that
most modifications (IE: headers etc. not junk like the intake turbine thingy trash) IF THOUGHT ABOUT will make a difference. Yes it can change the power range/torque range & It may not be a big difference but...
I would REALLY like to see hard 1/4 mile numbers &/or dyno numbers. Wish I had the $ and time.....

96POSRANGER4X4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
I want to update the 3.0 Page in the Technical Library in the coming month(s).

The page is a few years old and I'm not sure how accurate the info is anymore. If you have ANY suggestions as to what should be added, changed or deleted from the page, please post them here. This includes part numbers, names of manufacturers, links, custom modifications, know problems or even cheap tricks.

Thanks.
It would v be nice to have a page or links to the torque specs for various years and models that could be easily accessed, if that doesn't already exist. It might reduce the amount of redundant questions people ask and save time sifting through random forum posts trying to find them. That's my 2 cents, but I'm charging a dollar. 😜

alteredwalter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
"Service Life Extension" suggestions thread for the 3.0 (as well as the other engines)

I was going to make up my own list of things to do to my engine to ensure that I have a reliable and dependable truck for the next few years since buying a new truck is not in my future anytime soon (assuming a rebuild is not needed). In the military, aircraft (and other machines) would be overhauled & updated under a SLEP (Service Life Extension Program), allowing to a longer useful lifespan.

My Ranger is turning 125K miles, so I want to:
Replace the chirping camshaft synchroniser & sensor
Replace the serpentine belt
Inspect & replace any rubber hoses under the hood if needed
Inspect & replace cooling system components (water pump, thermostat, coolant, hoses) if needed
Replace plugs & wires
Replace filters (including fuel and auto trans)
Replace trans fluid (power steering too) if needed

This would be like a milestone maintenance list for high mileage engines, if you will.
This sounds like a very good idea to me and would be a useful addition to the tech library. Most of the manuals focus on fluid intervals and such and those of us with less experience with the Fords (like myself) would benefit greatly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals