• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Update leads to Chrome...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I got one of those popups from FireFox saying a new version was available...so I thought, heck, I've got an hour or so...and clicked the link...

The installer came up and then a small window that said "FireFox 15.0.1 is not compatible with firewall" and it shut it down. While thinking this was strange because all previous versions of FF were compatible with my firewall, I decided not to download.

After reading about Chrome and recently installing it on a friends computer, I took the plunge...:yahoo:

It appears that FF was heavily weighted down with some code or restrictions that are now gone from Chrome...I can view pages faster than ever and hopefully this lasts (sort of like the difference between FF and IE when I first switched over)...

Any long time users of Chrome finding it slowing down after a while?

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
Chrome has a lot of trouble rendering secure sites properly and I cannot pay bills or purchase merchandise from many popular sites.

I'm stickin with Firefox...:icon_hornsup:

Nate W.

August 2012 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I found Chrome not too long ago. I like it a lot better than IE. Never really tried Firefox.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've got chrome, firefox, and IE and I use all three. They've each got their points, thiough I use IE the least. I personally notice no real difference between Firefox and Chrome as far as speed is concerned.

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Been using chrome for since it was in beta. I will never go back to IE or FF.

Chrome has gave me no issues for that last few years.

Just don't weigh it down with add ons. Not all of them are pure google.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
An appropriate post considering my other thread about the site loading slowly.

I use Chrome for this site and it's super sluggish. I use IE because it's the only one that my work is compatible with if I ever want to access my work schedule.

I can try Firefox again, but Chrome is neat because I can both search for anything or go to an address using the address bar. Also the tabs are a lot cleaner.

Reaction score
chrome is the best, I've had it for a long time and use it for everything. i have internet explorer but i never use it lol

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Chrome has a lot of trouble rendering secure sites properly and I cannot pay bills or purchase merchandise from many popular sites.

I'm stickin with Firefox...:icon_hornsup:
I agree with these statements. Can't even log in to my credit unions page with it (at least I couldn't 6 months ago). Firefox is still king in my book.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Right after I read that post I went on-line and tried my bank account...a transfer that I'd been trying to send got hung up twice in FF...Chrome let it through on the first pass and I even found the transactions that were hung that I couldn't see in FF...

Maybe it was just a glitch in the bank system that was corrected over the weekend, but it sure worked fine for me in Chrome...

One thing I have noticed...Chrome actually uses more RAM than FF...it opens a separate item in the Task Mangler...and I've seen as many as four with just one web page open and no other tabs...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have IE, FF, Chrome and Opera.....

I couldn't tell you the last time I used IE. I gave up on that years ago.

FF was my mainstay for a number of years and I still use it for some things that don't seem to work well in other browsers.

I tried Chrome. It seems to work fine, but I don't hardly use it. Still skeptical of the fact that it's being put out there by a search engine company...

Opera is my browser of choice. I haven't got all the functions worked out (you can use mouse gestures), but it's fast, reliable, and arguably better than Chrome. I've noticed that sometimes it'll hang on some sites like TRS, but I don't think it's the browser because while it's hung up on that site, I can open another tab and load any website just fine. Of course, I do have a crappy internet connection...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Went back to FF because while Chrome works well I had a bit of a time with the Chrome interface...and finding things like home page selection seems a bit of a PITA for some reason...not sure but I was busy and had to do something that I normally do in FF without a problem and couldn't find the settings for Chrome...still have it on the computer but only use it when FF craps out...

And my update for XP still launches IE even though it is not the default...not that I mind that so much but just another setting that needs to be tweaked...

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
Right after I read that post I went on-line and tried my bank account...a transfer that I'd been trying to send got hung up twice in FF...Chrome let it through on the first pass and I even found the transactions that were hung that I couldn't see in FF...

Maybe it was just a glitch in the bank system that was corrected over the weekend, but it sure worked fine for me in Chrome...

One thing I have noticed...Chrome actually uses more RAM than FF...it opens a separate item in the Task Mangler...and I've seen as many as four with just one web page open and no other tabs...
More than likely it's how the banking site's administration has enabled security and the ability to render sites properly. IMHO it probably is not the browser. Charter will not let me pay me bill in anything but IE!:icon_confused:

I use Opera on the cheapo internet tablets I bought my grand kids.

IE has a new version out so I'll probably give it a try.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Chrome is neat because I can both search for anything or go to an address using the address bar. Also the tabs are a lot cleaner.
If you like this feature you probably didn't notice that IE9 has it too.

I just love people saying "Oh, I hate IE I gave up on it Years ago" not realizing that they are proclaiming
their own contradiction, because "years" (plural) means they were using either IE7 or IE8

The current version is IE9 and it's VERY different even from IE8

FF is one I won't touch because for the last year or so it's almost been "flavor of the week"
Mozilla just can't seem to get it "right"

Chrome? I have never liked the way Chrome handles Bookmarks/Favorites

AD

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals