• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 1990 2.3l Idles rough... vibrates horribly and idles around 800 RPM. HELP PLEASE!!!

DustinW2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1990 ford ranger 2.3l 5 speed manual and I can NOT figure out my issue... I’ve been driving it for a while and it started right up like off the show room floor. I had my dad drive it to help me diagnose a power issue and he said put new injectors in. So I did. As I was doing so, I finished putting all brand new injectors and pressure regulator in and I went to go turn the key and it started with a little higher rpm than usual and then died immediately after. It seemed like a vacuum leak and then I checked. The FPR hose wasn’t plugged into the vacuum tree. I went to go turn the key for the second time and it still died after firing up. I tried giving it throttle in order to get the engine running and the computer caught up but all I got was a Pop from the engine bay. Keep in mind I am a 16 year old kid in a auto shop class in high school... I love cars to death and know a little more than most kids my age. If you guys could help me, that’ll be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey Dustin, welcome to TRS. There isn't a lot of traffic some nights but someone will drop by eventually and help you get that sorted out. There are a lot of fine folks here :)

DustinW2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Hey thanks for the welcome, I just threw my issue out there so I could potentially wake up to a running truck ?
Thanks again Josh B ??

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Spray some fuel into the intake. Its the 50/50 test. If it fires or tries to then its a fuel issue. If it doesn't then its electrical.

Also you shouldn't touch the gas when cranking. I suspect the pop back was caused by a lean condition when you opened the throttle a bit.

If you suspect a flooded engine then you should hold the throttle wide open...foot to the floor. This tells the computer to go into flooded engine mode and the ecu shuts off the injectors.

Check the fuel pressure. It should be 30 to 40 psi for correct running. If there is an internal leak then maybe you don't have enough pressure to start. The fuel pump runs for 2 seconds and shuts off if the engine doesn't start turning over 400 rpm. Turning the key on but not starting will build up pressure by 10 psi each time you turn the key. Do that 4 or 5 times to build pressure to 40 psi and then try cranking it over.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Evening Dustin...

A lot of times when this kinda thing happens... you need to go back over your work. Double check all your connections and vacuum hoses.

alwaysFlOoReD gave you some good advice and a place to start... after you double check your work.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good point about checking over your work. I once had a no start issue after swapping engines. I finally tracked it down to a connector not making connection properly. Turned out the orange gasket had dried and was holding the connector apart just enough so it wasn't.....connected. Sprayed on some wd-40 and it would slip together properly.
PS it took me several months to figure it out.

DustinW2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Good point about checking over your work. I once had a no start issue after swapping engines. I finally tracked it down to a connector not making connection properly. Turned out the orange gasket had dried and was holding the connector apart just enough so it wasn't.....connected. Sprayed on some wd-40 and it would slip together properly.
PS it took me several months to figure it out.
Evening Dustin...

A lot of times when this kinda thing happens... you need to go back over your work. Double check all your connections and vacuum hoses.

alwaysFlOoReD gave you some good advice and a place to start... after you double check your work.
Hey I appreciate the help and I did exactly what you told me to do and I was right... it is a vacuum leak but worse... I took the intake manifold plenum off and low and behold my intake manifold was cracked and snapped off one of the ears... good thing you guys were there with your advice... metal in engines don’t mix.
I appreciate all the help you guys gave me. It sucks that my intake plenum is shot but you know... there’s no such thing as a mechanic without any curves
Thanks you guys so much

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You might get a good one of those at a wrecking yard. I'm surprised it even broke, is it made of aluminum?

DustinW2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
You might get a good one of those at a wrecking yard. I'm surprised it even broke, is it made of aluminum?
yep casted out of the weakest aluminum on the planet probably... I would show you but I don’t know how to upload a picture

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
On the window where you write a post there is an option to insert an image, there was one also to upload a file but I don't see it here now

If they break that easily I'd go for a junk yard pull, in my case anyway, because the picNpay near me has a 360 day warranty on parts, you can take it back often as many times as you need to.
They also have a core charge which you can either pay or keep both parts, in your case I don't see any point to hanging on to it

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Important point about installation of engine parts...

Most of these parts have both a torque specification... and a torque sequence. These specs are used to pull things down evenly... properly seal/crush seals and gaskets and not exceed the physical limits of the part and hardware.

If you didn't refer to these specs... it could be why it broke.

DustinW2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I know I said I’m a young kid and all but i am very careful with all my installations... I tighten in a cross pattern to evenly seat the gasket... but I guess it just gave out...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is this the one you used? 15-22 ft lb in 2 step sequence.

is the site no longer accepting photos?

DustinW2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I have one of chiltons book and they told me to do a star pattern at 20 ft pounds and that’s what I did. But the guy I bought this from was kind of a weirdo and probably only knew “Ugga Duggas” as his torque spec... But I order a new one anyway, parts for this truck are super duper cheap and should be here this week. It’s just mind boggling to me that people actually don’t care about a car that gets them to point b and back...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals