• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Up size 5 x 4.5 to 5 x 5.5 Adapters

Hapa1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2WD
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all two questions

1. I have a set of 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Aluminum 17 x 8/9 rims with a 5 x 5.5 bolt pattern. I can get a the EcoPath 285/70/17 AT tire for around $100 each at Walmart. Trying to save some $$

The rangers have a 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern. There are adapters (not spacers) out there that you can "Up-size" to a 5 x 5.5 bolt pattern?

It will push the wheel out about 1 to 1.5 inches, is that too much. Has anyone done this "Up-Size" adapter switch and what are the Pros/cons of doing this?

AND

2. What is the largest wheel tire combo I can put on my 2 WD with a 4 inch lift 2003 Ranger Edge. Can I up size to the 17 x 8/9 inch wheel?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ranger with 4" lift will fit diameter 33" x 12.5" wide tire. 285/70/17 is 1" narrower, 1/4" smaller in diameter. So would fit.

"adapter" is just a "spacer" for which the 2 patterns aren't identical.

I case of RAM 1500 rim, https://www.wheel-size.com/ , says they have 25mm offset/78mm/9/16-18 bolts. A 1" adapter would move the Dodge rims out 1/4" per side - close enough for girl I go with.

Make sure your adapters fit Ranger on hub side and have the 9/16-18 bolt on wheel side.

There are several who did the Dana 44 front hub upgrade on their pre-'98 Ranger 4x4s which are running adapters on rear so all 4 rims have the same 5 x 5.5 pattern.

Pro: Easier/cheaper than buying new rear axles and you don't need to worry about issues with drilling additional holes in rear drums.

Con: Need to correctly install adapters - torque wrench, not "tight enough" and they are one more part to break.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have those adapters on my crawler on the back so that it matches the bolt pattern on my front axle (FS Bronco D44, 5x5.5 pattern.) You do have to really watch and torque the inner lug nuts often and correctly, use blue locktite, and I had to cut the lug studs off because they are too long for my adapters and stick out past it.

I'd rather spend the money on the correct bolt pattern wheels in your scenario but what you are suggesting will work.

Hapa1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2WD
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the help ya'll. Really appreciate it.
H-

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals