• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Up in smoke

MJ'sBlkBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Well, I got the truck rebuilt and turning over, but had no spark. Fixed the spark, and was setting timing, and the motor started to crank very slowly. Opened the door to turn off ignition and the cab was full of smoke. The wiring under the dash burned up. :bawling: I am not going to try to chase all that wiring to repair it. I am going to pull all my new parts back off and send it to the j/y. This truck is just not worth more headache and money. I may try to find another BII, or I might go for an Exploder next time. I might just say screw it all and get my Mustang. Either way, if I decide to go other directions i will be selling my parts. :temper: Man, the better part of $3K and a year of work for this end.

Last edited:

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
how did the wiring fry? and what wiring fried? could be cheaper than you think to fix, just more labor than its worth to you maybe, you can only decide that

Sorry to hear about that, nothing worse than putting time and money into something and something bad happens. I have had the engine harness wires fried in my first car I owned. I hooked a small wire up for power to the amp(I have learned so much since then, usually the hard way) and that thing melted quick. Fried lots of other wires with it. I spent a few hours taping and reconnecting wires, but I got it all working right.

again sorry to hear that, good luck with whatever you decide on

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
You can actually remove the entire dashboard assembly with less than a dozen bolts

as one big ugly, but not particularly heavy unit.

WITH all the wireing intact.

You just need to unhook ALL the connectors right there on the
driver's inner fender and pop the big gromet through the firewall.

And yeah doing that is a whole bunch easier than starting over.

AD

MJ'sBlkBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
From what i was able to tell with as thorough inspection as one can do upside down and with everything in looms, I lost a ground wire and there are a couple of wires that run to a box just to the right of the steering colomn. The bracket unbolts with 2 small bolts, then you see that there are acually 2 plugs there. There is also a relay bolted to it. The plug on the left (I belive) has melted into that box. I may look into again (ok, I know I will), I'm just so frustrated at the whole thing I can't see straight. I know things never go as planed, but this thing was so badly taken care of it has been one rediculous thing after another. I still had some wiring under the hood to fix but it was nothing that caused this or was going to be detramental to it. Just looks bad.
On the other hand, with all of the parts i have, I could build another one in just a matter of months (with how much I'm home). :icon_thumby: And 2, this BII was free and that is the only reason i built it. And 3, if i go for an Exploder, it will already have the axles I was putting under the BII, 4.0l motor, M5r1 tranny, and all the pop open glass. :icon_idea: Just some thoughts.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That sucks man...I would personally fix it if you can find a wiring harness at a good price, which shouldn't be too hard.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
...And 3, if i go for an Exploder, it will already have the axles I was putting under the BII, 4.0l motor, M5r1 tranny, and all the pop open glass. :icon_idea: ...
Yeah, and it will also weigh about 1200 lbs more, be equally (or maybe even more) gutless with a 4.0 than a bronco II w/ a 2.9, ride like crap, and get 2-5 mpg worse than the bronco II.

I can understand the envy of all the nice parts (4.0, D35, 8.8, M5OD) but there are drawbacks that you don't fully realize until you have to drive one everyday. And that's coming from a guy who's been DD one for 6 years.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Little box with two plugs on a B2?

To the right of the steering wheel?

the cruise control amplifier?

AD

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, and it will also weigh about 1200 lbs more, be equally (or maybe even more) gutless with a 4.0 than a bronco II w/ a 2.9, ride like crap, and get 2-5 mpg worse than the bronco II.

I can understand the envy of all the nice parts (4.0, D35, 8.8, M5OD) but there are drawbacks that you don't fully realize until you have to drive one everyday. And that's coming from a guy who's been DD one for 6 years.
My parents have had one for 12 years, I never thought it rode that bad. It is a pig, but it also has 3.27 gears and 180k miles on it... and it is a 4dr. I have been to Yellowstone and Colorado a couple times in it, I never thought the ride was too bad.

A Sport should be similar to a BII in most reguards.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
No, the 4 door's ride fine. It's the sports that ride like crap. You have to ride in one to believe it, but they're actually significantly worse than a bronco II. Something about 4500 lbs and a 102" wheelbase I guess.

Danger FX4 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have had the engine harness wires fried in my first car I owned. I hooked a small wire up for power to the amp(I have learned so much since then, usually the hard way) and that thing melted quick. Fried lots of other wires with it. I spent a few hours taping and reconnecting wires, but I got it all working right.
It's hard to believe at 12 volts even the smallest devices and accesories draw big amps. Many do-it-yourselfers who are used to home wiring (120 and 240 volts), don't understand why something as small as a horn often requires a control relay to avoid such problems. With low voltage comes big amps. :sad:

MJ'sBlkBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
The Exploder wouldn't be a DD. I have a Freightliner for that. :D
Allan,
I don't know if it is that. It is mounted to the bottow of the dash. Both plugs are about 6 wire's wide each. I belive the one that fried is grey, the other is yellow? The really bad part is I can't tell the wire colors on the plug since it fried to try and follow a schematic.

If it wasn't for bad luck...

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The Exploder wouldn't be a DD. I have a Freightliner for that. :D
Allan,
I don't know if it is that. It is mounted to the bottow of the dash. Both plugs are about 6 wire's wide each. I belive the one that fried is grey, the other is yellow? The really bad part is I can't tell the wire colors on the plug since it fried to try and follow a schematic.

If it wasn't for bad luck...
The only thing under the dash with two connectors is the cruise control
brain box, and it is in that location.

IT should be possible to either strip out JUST the cruise control system
it's a "Tacked on" harness, NOT part of the main harness on a Gen1

AD

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
No, the 4 door's ride fine. It's the sports that ride like crap. You have to ride in one to believe it, but they're actually significantly worse than a bronco II. Something about 4500 lbs and a 102" wheelbase I guess.
Sounds like yours has issues. Mine is noticably quicker than a 2.9 Bronco II and ride quality is the same.

MJ'sBlkBII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
This thing has been an electrical bad dream (not quite nightmare LOL) since the start. It started with removing the stereo "system" which was speaker wire run to the fuse box for power to the deck. Then the intermitten brake lights, day time running lights on the rear, slow crank to normal back to slow crank, and now this with no blinkers also. Oh, my phantom wipers came and went away again too.
Is the under dash harness complicated to remove and replace? I think I am going to atleast give this a shot. There are a couple 88 BII's and even more Rangers at the local P-N-P. Would it require removing the door wiring and over head 4X4 buttons at the same time? AllenD said there was a plug to pull through the fire wall. This is if the cruise system isn't the only thing that was ruined.
This is just another set back. Never let anything stop me before, why now! Thanks y'all.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
On an '89-up there is a single connector at the firewall.

On an '88 the harness actually goes through the firewall and
there is a cluster of smaller connectors these can all be snaked
back through the firewall...

I HAVE had the entire dash out of my truck as an assembly.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals