• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Unusual 2.8L application

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
This kind of blows my mind.

Looks like a 2.8, right?
1988 Hagglund BV206 20230219 a DS.jpg

But in this?
1988 Hagglund BV206 20230219 b DS.jpg

From the article where I found it:
" . . . . and then there's this 1988 Hagglund BV206 listed for sale on Hemmings.com, an armored all-terrain vehicle developed for the Swedish army. While tracked, it steers not like a tank but instead via its articulating two-piece body, with power sent to both its front and rear units. Because it was designed with low ground pressure, it's adept at traveling in everything from snow to bogs to sand, and it was even developed to be fully amphibious. As with many military vehicles, the BV206 was built in several versions to suit a variety of purposes. This one in particular is powered by a Ford 2.8L V-6 and appears to be the armored personnel carrier variant, with seating for more than a dozen people. "

I guess that you could go just about anywhere with a lot of your friends, just not very fast. I'd be surprised if top speed even reaches double digits.

The story was here:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/short-of-a-helicopter-this-1988-hagglunds-bv206-might-be-the-best-option-for-remote-wildernesses/ar-AA17Fmnt?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=c5e21f7b70054fb4bf4d259452a188e0#image=7

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
This kind of blows my mind.

Looks like a 2.8, right?
View attachment 88984

But in this?
View attachment 88985

From the article where I found it:
" . . . . and then there's this 1988 Hagglund BV206 listed for sale on Hemmings.com, an armored all-terrain vehicle developed for the Swedish army. While tracked, it steers not like a tank but instead via its articulating two-piece body, with power sent to both its front and rear units. Because it was designed with low ground pressure, it's adept at traveling in everything from snow to bogs to sand, and it was even developed to be fully amphibious. As with many military vehicles, the BV206 was built in several versions to suit a variety of purposes. This one in particular is powered by a Ford 2.8L V-6 and appears to be the armored personnel carrier variant, with seating for more than a dozen people. "

I guess that you could go just about anywhere with a lot of your friends, just not very fast. I'd be surprised if top speed even reaches double digits.

The story was here:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/short-of-a-helicopter-this-1988-hagglunds-bv206-might-be-the-best-option-for-remote-wildernesses/ar-AA17Fmnt?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=c5e21f7b70054fb4bf4d259452a188e0#image=7
Kinda cool to see the humble colonge powering something like this.

But if thats how they engineer stuff no wonder they never wanna go to war

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
It's an auto, too, so I'm curious what the driveline is.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I was thinking C5, as the A4LightDuty wouldn't hold up long in low speed, heavy duty use.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's an auto, too, so I'm curious what the driveline is.
Most likely hydraulic. I don't remember the details, but Ford used to build a V4 industrial engine. Like many of Ford's industrial engines, it also had an automotive variant which was known as the Taunus V4 and was a 4 cylinder version (predecessor) of the Cologone V6. IIRC some of the applications for this V4 industrial engine were hydrostat skid steer type applications. It had the same bellhousing and the Taunus and Cologone engines were a lot more common in the part of the world this thing is from. If this thing was originally powered by the V4, I can see someone repowering this thing with the V6 when it gave up the ghost.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Interesting looking water neck. Very different from mine and any other I've seen. Has a different intake manifold, from mine, too. The carb even looks kinda weird. Cool as hell though. Would love to drive that to work......

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Interesting looking water neck. Very different from mine and any other I've seen. Has a different intake manifold, from mine, too. The carb even looks kinda weird. Cool as hell though. Would love to drive that to work......
Carb reminds me of a Weber (or whatever the Holley incarnation of it was). But what the heck happened to the air filter? Looks like it's been crushed/twisted into place.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Carb reminds me of a Weber (or whatever the Holley incarnation of it was). But what the heck happened to the air filter? Looks like it's been crushed/twisted into place.
Clearly a 2bbl carb but nothing I recognize. You may be right or it may be something Swedish.

As for the air filter, I'm willing to bet that the filter element was just too tall to fit. So, someone put their palm on the top plate and smashed the element so that those three spring clips would snap into place. Either that or the air cleaner is a convenient place to put your hand while working on other things. And, the element has been slightly crushed in the process.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I wonder where the thermostat is. Looks like better room to get to the dist. hold down bolt. 🙃

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals