• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Unleashed Tuning Package

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I've run NGK plugs for years in all my motorcycles and my Lightning. I've never experienced one problem with them. Talking since the late 70's here. Only plugs I've ever had problems with were those stupid E3s. Didn't last 5000 miles in my Ranger and looked like crap when removed.
Bikes like NGK's, Rangers hate them. Mine did. My F150 likes Bosch for some reason.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I don’t know what it is but certain brand of vehicles prefer certain brands of parts in certain instances. Hondas would be an example. They typically hate Bosch and love NGK and Denso. Ford is the same way with other brands. Why, I have no idea, but it definitely seems to be a thing.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What the heck are they wanting tow that they need a tune so it will tow better? They aren’t one of those people that insist on not getting enough truck to do the job are they?

What’s the tow limit again? 7,500#? How much does the truck weight? I don’t think my Super Crew is 7,500# but I might be wrong. Towing equal to the weight of the tow vehicle or higher isn’t the best idea in my opinion.
Comparing apples to ball-peen hammers but the tuner really improved my F-150 for towing. Adjusting the shift points and firmness was a wow improvement. I don't think it did much for actual power (NA 5.4 so there isn't a whole lot to play with)

Towing greater than truck weight is very common, I do it often.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The best way to increase towing performance is to buy a truck meant for what you're intending to tow...

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The best way to increase towing performance is to buy a truck meant for what your intending to tow...
Even running empty the shift strategy for my truck was stupid.

In general it was just mushy and confused.

Now it shifts like it means it when it needs to. Used tuner was $100 10 years ago and I have yet to regret it.

BUT I have yet to see the 10R80 compared to a 4R70W like that though.

Just saying in my experience that is a often overlooked way to increase towing performance with a tune. Everybody goes straight to "mo powa!"

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Even running empty the shift strategy for my truck was stupid.

In general it was just mushy and confused.

Now it shifts like it means it when it needs to. Used tuner was $100 10 years ago and I have yet to regret it.

BUT I have yet to see the 10R80 compared to a 4R70W like that though.

Just saying in my experience that is a often overlooked way to increase towing performance with a tune. Everybody goes straight to "mo powa!"
True, transmissions come tuned for the best comfort of the driver. Soft shifts make everything seem smooth and seamless which makes for a comfortable feeling, but they are hell on the transmission. If you're average know-nothing driver hopped in a new truck and it shifted like a jack hammer they would be turned away thinking there is something wrong even though those hard shifts are good for the transmission!

I rebuilt the valve body in my 2009 and put in heavy duty springs, increased the pressure, added some other performance crap. The problem is the computer still controls the shifts. It has adaptive shift control so no matter what you do physically to the transmission the computer automatically adjusts pressures, shift points, and timing to negate what you've done. When I clear the adaptive shift strategy from the computer my trans shifts like a damn rocket for about 50 miles before the computer re-learns how to compensate for my modifications. The only way to actually get the full benefits of the upgraded valve body is to tune the computer to delete the dumbass adaptive shift program. :rolleyes:

Hard fast shifts keep the transmission cooler plain and simple. Long slow shifts feel very nice to the driver but put way more demand on the friction materials creating a ton of heat.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I rebuilt the valve body in my 2009 and put in heavy duty springs, increased the pressure, added some other performance crap. The problem is the computer still controls the shifts, it has adaptive shift control so no matter what you do physically to the transmission the computer automatically adjusts to negate what you've done. When I clear the adaptive shift strategy from the computer my trans shifts like a damn rocket for about 50 miles before the computer re-learns how to compensate for my modifications. The only way to actually get the full benefits of the upgraded valve body is to tune the computer to delete the dumbass adaptive shift program. :rolleyes:
Mine is like that too but it doesn't get dumbed down as bad.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Mine is like that too but it doesn't get dumbed down as bad.
Computers make everything dumber...

Good lord I sound like Rusty... I need to go cleanse myself...

Cobrablues

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Lariat
Transmission
Automatic
I agree. It's not the towing part of the tune I was interested in. With 7500 lbs towing capacity, you can certainly pull a 4000 lb camper behind it. I mostly like the increased torque and HP.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
tell me more
The Ford Performance tune when installed by a dealer or ASI certified mechanic does not void your warranty.
List price is around $850 but Levittown Ford Parts sells it for around $650. Includes a K&N filter.
People who have it say the transmission shifts much better.
Requires 91 octane gas which is the main reason why I don't get it. Truck has enough power already and I drive too much to spend an extra 70 cents a gallon. Let's go Brandon.

MAJCLJERJR

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the prompt response. my wife has the tremor but i was thinking about getting a RWD XL as a daily driver.
no frills. no bells / whistles
I got a 2015 F150 5.0 so I understand your pain
Inflation is a hidden tax on the average man, rich people dont suffer, their assets grow. too much money in the money supply drives inflation upwards. The FED will have to increase the interest rate in order to prompt people to save and take money out of cirulation

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
thanks for the prompt response. my wife has the tremor but i was thinking about getting a RWD XL as a daily driver.
no frills. no bells / whistles
I got a 2015 F150 5.0 so I understand your pain
Inflation is a hidden tax on the average man, rich people dont suffer, their assets grow. too much money in the money supply drives inflation upwards. The FED will have to increase the interest rate in order to prompt people to save and take money out of cirulation
You're welcome.
At the moment we have a double whammy. Government is printing more money which causes inflation because as more money is in circulation, each dollar is worth less (two words) so it takes more dollars to buy the same stuff. Second, if there is less supply of goods and services that will also drive up prices. When there are shortages, typically prices rise.
Why yes, as a matter of fact I DO have a degree in economics. And taught college economics part-time for 20 years. :icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals