• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ultra Power Window Crank Handle Review (part no. 767MX)

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Product being reviewed:

And the following pictures show the reason I changed out the crank handles... Lets chalk it up to an OCD thing aye?

A simple thing that is quite necessary if you have crank windows is the crank handle and these often wear out crack and break on older vehicles no matter the make or model. After 26 years mine finally wore out and one started to crack and the other's cover would not stay clipped and would rattle when hitting a hard bump so I hit up one of my favorite part stores and ordered a set. RockAuto had these as there only in stock option at the time and for a whopping $2.75 each before tax and shipping I figured I would give them a shot on my 1994 Ranger.

Left is the new Ultra Power and the one on the right is the Ford O.E. handle

At first glance these two handles appear to be the same but there are differences on back side that in the future may cause an issue of rattling.

From the above picture you can see where they tried to reduce cost by making the the plastic around the splines that hold the handle on a lot, and I mean a lot, thinner. I can see this a being a easy breaking point if the windows freeze. Also the knob has a split in its attachment point which can causing the knob to pop off later in life, while this is a guess with this exact part number and may never come to pass it is an educated guess since this is not the first crank handle I Have replaced over the years.

From the below pictures you can see that the trim ring that goes between the door panel and handle fits snugly around the factory handle, which will prevent rattles but on the new Ultra power there is quite a room between the exterior of the spline shaft and the ring leaving a lot of room for movement and a possible rattle.

While installing the first one, drivers side, I notice the handle wouldn't slide down all the way down the splines and required a firm beating with the side of my hand to seat it but the passenger side slipped on just like they are supposed to. Is this a manufacturer tolerance issue? For $2.75 company's will cut corners where they can and are definitely not an O.E. fit. As a note: Ford O.E. uses a Torx T20 as the screw head and because this is a aftermarket part it comes with the more common Phillips head screw. Either will work just fine but I reused the Torx screw because I wanted to try to keep it as factory looking as possible on this job.

After install all is well but time will tell if my fear of rattling will come to pass or if a frozen window will break the thin spline casing.

No more cracks or covers hanging in the breeze and my OCD-ish obsession with my truck is satisfied... for now.

My opinion on these handles is for the price they are most definitely worth the try but the tolerances could use a little tightening. Having the trim ring being as loose as what it is worries me about rattling, one reason for the handle change for me, but if a rattle doesn't bother you then this is a good buy.

I would have put this in the product review section but there isn't one for interior parts so here it sits.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Quote from the review: "Also the knob has a split in its attachment point which can causing the knob to pop off later in life, while this is a guess with this exact part number and may never come to pass it is an educated guess since this is not the first crank handle I Have replaced over the years. "

Well Blow me mechanic ares down because I can see the future....

(With my best southern Draw) Stuff just ain't made the same no more... OF course this is a '94 and much different than say an 84 or 74, But I can see the future... I went from February to the beginning of June before the darned thing popped off. Yes One ear is broken and since I'm one of those " well i changed it because I didn't like the noise it made type of people that hord the old parts" I'm going to reinstall the old driver side on the passenger side till I get a different brand crank and still not have a rattle.

Would I recommend this part? Surely not when all I did was reach over to roll down that window and got 3 cranks max and POP!! its in my hand.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
lesson learned.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
lesson learned.
Yes sir the lesson was learned. I'm looking for ford OEM made replacements now that are in good condition.

Cal me crazy but I want to put down my passenger window from teh driver seat and not have the window crank knob end up in my hand with the window only part way down.

Of course I'm curios of what Kid will say when it pops off in her hand. DAAAAD!!! lol

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I was just ranting on one of my posts about how everything is "chinesium" these days..The guys made me savvy to that term Ima running w/ it lol.....Im having a non-cheapo alternator hunt issue myself...Anyways did you happen to find oem replacement or something decent? looking fwd to pt.3. So far you have saved me $2.75 x2 plus tax, shipping, anticipation and dissapointment.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
So the other day I ripped off the driver side knob.... I purchased one more with a plan though...

I am still in the hunt for some factory ones just in case. @Shran maybe your willing to part with your parts truck ones. BUT the plan is to run down to the local, and I mean local in my town, hardware store and see if I can get a course thread with a flattened head machine screw to put into the back of the knob with hopes that this will stop the flex of the cut knob holders to reinforce the fore scene trouble spot.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Maybe you just need to stop cranking your knob so hard? :unsure:

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
My 77 has metal cranks. Reason #3287 why old stuff is superior

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My '90 has the original cranks, never had a problem and those windows aren't the smoothest thing on the planet... Who knows on the '97 since I have a '94 door on the drivers side, but it's easy enough I often times grab it between my index finger and middle finger and grab there for a little less wrist twist in a confined area... not much force on the knob that way... Since you're having that much issue, I do have an extra I could offer up if you pay shipping... oddly enough with my disaster of a garage I even know where it is...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My 77 has metal cranks. Reason #3287 why old stuff is superior
If you could get late 90's fuel injection in a '70's vehicle I'm with ya, that's the reason I like 90's rigs best, still fairly simple but not stupid complicated, but there's some annoying things mixed in... I purposely went for a '95-97 Ranger for a daily driver...

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
If you could get late 90's fuel injection in a '70's vehicle I'm with ya, that's the reason I like 90's rigs best, still fairly simple but not stupid complicated, but there's some annoying things mixed in... I purposely went for a '95-97 Ranger for a daily driver...
A guy as smart as you could learn how to tune a 2150 2 bbl in about 10 minutes. You wouldnt even tell the difference between that and EFI.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Well yeah, I know the plusses and minuses of both, injection is just a preference... heck some of the new stuff is pretty sweet but all the emissions and safety junk on new stuff is ridiculous... and this is coming from a guy that tunes engines for emissions for a living... I like a balance of form and function, and as I get older I like not messing with stuff once it's together and closed loop fuel injection just keeps going unless it sits for years, no float bowls or jets to clean...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals