• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Uh oh. Another would you thread

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ive driven a 2wd truck my whole life and have never been stuck in the sand. I got the the rear end stuck on a stump once, and got stuck in 1" of mud on flat ground with an empty 6x10 trailer attached. I'm with @adsm08 on this one. Why spend all that money for nothing. Do like every other guy and deck your 2wd truck out to look like a 4wd and call it a day. The wider tires won't sink into the sugar sand.
My ranger has open diffs and I almost got it stuck in a sandy parking area.

I like to do my off roading at low speed. 15 to 20 mph on the trails. The places I would take it include the northern Georgia mountains (Beasley, Bald Head, Cherokke National Forest) as well as Michigan in winter. (Gotta show up my brother and his Subaru)

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Also. I'd like a green or blue color if I was going to get a different one.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I chose both choices, without the loan on the first option but modifying as I accumulate the cash.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
oh hell no
Total Drop
nope
Tire Size
15s with moon eye flats.
My credo
Rev On The Red Line
/concur Buy an older one
I do not have new trucks for a reason. I can fix everything on the 78 and 84.
When Im done with the 84 Ranger, I wont be 4 grand into it. (Helps to have a body man as a bud)
So far Im a grand into it. The paint is what will cost not the new everything Ive put underneath it.

New trucks are over priced and a technological nightmare. My nab just got a 2019. He already said he wants his 86 back, and he is never selling his 79 or 49.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
I'll take $12k for my '01 4x4. Brand new engine and trans (well about 12k miles now), 4.10 gears with factory limited slip, new front CVs, ball joints and shocks. Lots of other new parts and everything works. It's black though and the paints not perfect, but no dents and no rust.

Hell, I'll knock off $1500 so you can get a locker put in and another $500 so you can get the drivers' seat reupholstered. It's got the normal wear spots. An even $10k and I'll deliver since I'm in Florida too. LOL

rjaaaaaa2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
That was my question also except I didn't have 12k to spend but still same choice restore and customize my 2001 ranger edge or take on another car payment. I'm retired and have the time so I chose to do the work, doesn't cost as much and way more fun than car payments and when your done it's yours and your proud of it.
GO FOR IT !

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I have so far spent about $13k on my 88 Bronco 2, including purchase price, transmission rebuild, engine replacement...and its still 30+ years old. However, nothing on the market today has gained any interest from me and I don't plan on getting rid of my Bronco 2 anytime soon. It still needs painted though, which is another $5k. Still cheaper than a new SUV which I wouldn't be happy in at all. I enjoy driving my Bronco 2 and my recently acquired 87 Ranger...so figure out what a new truck costs, then figure in the immediate depreciation as you drive it off the lot, but still owe $40k+ on. Now, figure out what it would cost to repair the truck you want to put $12k in, and double that number because trust me its never going to cost what you think, it'll inevitably cost more...much more due to breaking of components during the process of repair, and finding further issues as you dig into the project.

If you plan on keeping the truck you want to put $12k into for another 20 years fine, if its something you are trying to make pretty to try and get rich by reselling it, save your time, and money and sell it as is before you end up with a $12k+ lawn ornament when you run out of money 1/2 way through the project and your wife gets mad and divorces you for spending every dime you make on an old truck.

In the end I don't have a loan payment on a truck even though I have slowly put $13K into mine. I did it over time, something you could of course do with your truck if you have time, patience, and a space to keep it stored. I had a shop do the work on mine because I don't have a place to work on vehicles and it would never get finished with everything else I have to deal with. I'd go with no car payment and have the work done if you need to over the course of months or years, rather than a 7 year truck payment that I wouldn't want, and don't care to drive.

Pix3L8

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
100% build the truck I want instead of buying the truck I want, you'll get the satisfaction of building something unique and a great truck when your done.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I have a 2wd sc Ranger Edge with a motor thats locked up. 12 stacks would set that bitch off.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I agree. It's totally a buyers market now.

MIseeker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
4wd ranger ext
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have so far spent about $13k on my 88 Bronco 2, including purchase price, transmission rebuild, engine replacement...and its still 30+ years old. However, nothing on the market today has gained any interest from me and I don't plan on getting rid of my Bronco 2 anytime soon. It still needs painted though, which is another $5k. Still cheaper than a new SUV which I wouldn't be happy in at all. I enjoy driving my Bronco 2 and my recently acquired 87 Ranger...so figure out what a new truck costs, then figure in the immediate depreciation as you drive it off the lot, but still owe $40k+ on. Now, figure out what it would cost to repair the truck you want to put $12k in, and double that number because trust me its never going to cost what you think, it'll inevitably cost more...much more due to breaking of components during the process of repair, and finding further issues as you dig into the project.

If you plan on keeping the truck you want to put $12k into for another 20 years fine, if its something you are trying to make pretty to try and get rich by reselling it, save your time, and money and sell it as is before you end up with a $12k+ lawn ornament when you run out of money 1/2 way through the project and your wife gets mad and divorces you for spending every dime you make on an old truck.

In the end I don't have a loan payment on a truck even though I have slowly put $13K into mine. I did it over time, something you could of course do with your truck if you have time, patience, and a space to keep it stored. I had a shop do the work on mine because I don't have a place to work on vehicles and it would never get finished with everything else I have to deal with. I'd go with no car payment and have the work done if you need to over the course of months or years, rather than a 7 year truck payment that I wouldn't want, and don't care to drive.

I agree. Love my rangers. Dependable, and suit my NEEDS in a truck. I have owned rangers for 30 years, 3 of them. All purchased used, and i still use the 2nd one i bought on the property here for my wood cutting activities. My latest purchase was a rusted 2001 4x4 and I probably drive it a thousand miles a year. since im retired now. I dont do mods unless its for interior comfort for long drives. The boat ramp is 3 miles away so need for more pulling power is moot. i would say i have spent less than 20k for purchase and upkeep for 30 years of owning rangers. Of course, the first one, an 88 2wd was my daily for 22 years lol. In 95 i went insane and bought a brand now Ram ( kept the ranger) and I HATED using it as a *truck*. too worried about dirt and dents, all i could think about was the money.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Both. I just got a 2020 F-150 and I’m restoring my ‘79 F350.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals