• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ugh! Any sympathizers replacing cam sync?

rhekman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Thanks to everyone here and a big kudos over on the Explorer forums for great pics and instructions on replacing the cam synchronizer on my '95 Ranger 4.0L.

All I can say after the experience is what a PITA. I know I'm not the fastest shade tree mechanic, but 10 hours over several days was not fun. Also, WTH was Ford thinking stuffing this part under the upper intake and next to the firewall? I swear I was laying over the engine compartment for at least 45 minutes working that stupid thing back and forth before it finally let go of it's hold in the block.

Warning to anyone else with a '95 4.0 OHV. Napa and O'Reilly's both had the part number by vehicle application mixed up with the two piece black plastic cap style sensor from 96 and up models. I had to tell them I was running a '94 to get the right part. This post was invaluable to tell the difference: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233415

The 99$ probe camera I picked up from Harbor Freight was invaluable for verifying the location of the vane against the calibration marks in the sensor window.

Unfortunately after putting everything back together I'm now dealing with a slow to drop idle RPM and codes P0171 and P0174. I suspect based on other postings here and elsewhere that I should have replaced the upper intake manifold gaskets. Apparently I have tearing the intake off AGAIN to look forward to.

Anyone else out there feeling my pain?

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
been there done that man... check the egr tube in the intake .. you might have a big leak right there... my buddy just had to replace his dorman sensor.. since it was chirping.. tookem about 20 min to do.

i just swapped in a sohc into my 95 and low an behold i have a cam sensor code haha

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
i just swapped in a sohc into my 95 and low an behold i have a cam sensor code haha
Welcome to my world. :icon_thumby:

I have a plan to do away with that check engine light and replace it with a wait to start light.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
oooh a diesel conversion coming on?

What kind of donor are you using? the 3.9 in your info below your avatar?

AJ

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
oooh a diesel conversion coming on?

What kind of donor are you using? the 3.9 in your info below your avatar?

AJ
I dont want to hijack the thread, so just check out the 4bt swap link in my sig.

rhekman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Sno, I just caught up from beginning to end on your diesel swap thread. I love it, and can't wait to see it finished.

BTW, my P0174 and P0171 codes are fixed now that I resealed the intake. The main issue was indeed the EGR tube (you can see in the "bad" pic below how off it was, and the rubber seal was very deformed). Overall took me about 45 minutes not counting a break for supper in between.

I picked up replacement upper intake gaskets for insurance even though a carb cleaner test only pointed to the EGR, and since I had to take the upper off regardless. I think Napa's website has the wrong part number for the intake gaskets on a '95. At least the picture online for the '95 application showed a flat one piece gasket, which is not what my truck has. Ordering the 96 intake plenum gasket set seemed to do the trick. At $5.99 I can't complain, and there was an extra set in the box!

EGR tube seal was a different story. I ended up just going to Ace Hardware and grabbing a combination of a flange washer and an o-ring from the plumbing department. Pics follow (sorry the last one is a bit out of focus, but you get the idea).

Just a liiiittle bit off :icon_surprised:

1 5/16" OD I believe...

A little silicone gasket sealer to be sure.

Extra o-ring for insurance.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals