• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ubuntu

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What can you guys tell me about it? Anyone run it? I just downloaded it. Still dont know much about it other than my uncle said it would be faster than normal. Still gotta get used to it.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I don't know anything about it either, but I'm interested in getting it as well. So I look forward to seeing what is said about it.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I dont even know how to pronounce it hardly. Im mainly interested in the security perks of it. I dont know what security programs or downloads I should get though.

Spoone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ubuntu is a linux distribution, which are generally safe from hacking for a few reasons. First, the file structure is robust, and generally unfamiliar (unlike Windows) to any would-be hacker. Second, because each process runs on it's own, indepenent of any other process, it's safe from malicious code running 'by itself'. It's a very safe, very robust OS.

On the downside...you won't be able to play any of the latest games, though there are fixes and tweaks you can do to make newer games run, often with better performance than on their native Windows environments.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i run linux mint, which is another variation of linux/unix, it is VERY similar to windows in most all respects, except for compatability...

first thing i will recommend to you, don't make the switch unless you are somewhat computer literate, and i would HIGHLY recommend keeping a windows partition for anything that NEEDS windows... for me at this point, it would be most things media related (gopro, iphone... ect) itunes does NOT work on linux mint (and i believe also not on ubuntu or any other version of linux)

i have been told you can run it "in wine" but i have tried and still can't get it to work, even running windows inside VMware player, (which i also do) it won't mount properly...

i did find a work around to allow your iphone to be mounted onto linux, but it's not allowing me to sync, very frustrating!

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah I kept windows on the computer. When it boots up I can pick which one I want. I love how fast Ubuntu starts though.

Sent from the think n' stink.

alexpmcmurphy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
give it a shot you got nothing to lose

i would recommend Mint Linux over Ubuntu or at least install the KDE or Gnome desktops as opposed to Ubuntu's home cooked unity desktop, other than that, burn it to a CD and give it a try in live CD mode (dont install just use right off the CD) and see if you like it. its going to be slower cause of the read speed of a CD is slower than a hard drive but it will probably still be faster than your adverage windows install. if you decide to install it, it can scoot windows over and install itself next to it without any data loss and you can choose which OS you want to run when you turn on your computer. as far as support goes Ubuntu has a huge community base and pretty much anything that works for Ubuntu will work for Mint. let us know how it goes for you

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I liked Ubuntu but it came to a point where I had to choose between one or the other because my HDD was getting full. Since my Windows partition had all my stuff on it, I had to let go of the Linux software. :sad:

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I liked Ubuntu but it came to a point where I had to choose between one or the other because my HDD was getting full. Since my Windows partition had all my stuff on it, I had to let go of the Linux software. :sad:
Ahem, how about two harddrives?

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
All I know is that Chromium on Ubuntu is crazy fast compared to what Im used to.

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
Just installed Ununtu and am blown away with the performance on my mid lever desk top!:headbang:

I'm dual bootong Vista... 2.3 quad w/8mb

I tried it out a few years ago and it appears nearly every issue I had then has been resolved!:yahoo:

No to get my Majic Jack working on it.....:icon_confused:

Gonna try Gnome as suggested.....:D

mrkistle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I would not install Ubuntu 12. They completely redid the GUI, and there is not alot of info on how to use the software compared to versions 10 and 11...I run 10.04 on an atom based netbook, and it runs quick and without issue.

FYI, Apple OS X is a debian based kernal...i.e. it is a "version" of linux.

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
I would not install Ubuntu 12
The distro I installed is 12.10...once again thrilled by it!...so far..:D

PKMX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I've read that there will be Ubuntu phone I the near future. I have not read too much into it. But an open source platform for mobile devices is well needed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals