• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

U-bolts for Waggy leaf SAS

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
What should I use for u-bolts on my leaf sprung SAS?

I have a wagoneer front axle and I was planning on using a 2-1/2" square u-bolt set up similar to a toyota leaf setup on the drivers side and 3" round u-bolts on the pass side, I also need a set of round 3-1/8" u-bolts for the ford 9' in the rear.

Should I use 9/16" or 5/8"; Grade 5 or grade 8, plated or no?

Many suspension companys sell u-bolts that are only 1/2" threads, is that strong enough? and 1/2" u-bolt sets are pretty cheap.

but I was looking at this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=290183570336

they make u-bolts in custom sizes and will do a set with two u-shaped and two square for me at same price, but what size/grade should I get?

And how important do you think it is to buy new u-bolts instead of using old ones? I've used old ones on axle swaps before and never thought much of it, but I want do do this swap right.

So what are most of you using on your axle swaps?

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Long as they are still good and big enough re-use them. I used 9/16 or 5/8" on my Toyota, can't remember at the moment, had a local spring shop make them while I waited. I told them the diameter, length and U or square and it took like 15 minutes. Bought nuts and washers from them too and was cheaper and I didn't have to hack a bunch of extra off the ends when I was done.

I would do the U type with the nuts up if you can. I don't usually do plated cause mine get scuffed up on the rocks fast anyways, but rustbelt I would do plated.

That auction you posted sounds good price and quality.

Last edited:

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
How many people are running 5/8" u-bolts on their axles?
or 9/16, or 1/2"
and what about grade 5 vs grade 8-most u-bolt adds don't specify what grade, so I bet there probably not grade 8, so is grade 8 needed for u-bolts?

madmax401

Reaction score
check out "ruff stuff specialties." they have kits for that and are thcker than stock -heavy as hell. simple swap kits include leaf spring perches- shock mounts - u bolts and plates for 110 bux. cant beat that .

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I bought 2 sets of 5/8's grade 8 bolts with shipping for about $65.

from ebay seller palmerspring

they were made to order and I got a set with two round and two square u-bolts for the front d44 and a set of four round for the ford 9".

thanks for the link though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals