• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' the posts that you read.

U-bolts for Waggy leaf SAS

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
What should I use for u-bolts on my leaf sprung SAS?

I have a wagoneer front axle and I was planning on using a 2-1/2" square u-bolt set up similar to a toyota leaf setup on the drivers side and 3" round u-bolts on the pass side, I also need a set of round 3-1/8" u-bolts for the ford 9' in the rear.

Should I use 9/16" or 5/8"; Grade 5 or grade 8, plated or no?

Many suspension companys sell u-bolts that are only 1/2" threads, is that strong enough? and 1/2" u-bolt sets are pretty cheap.

but I was looking at this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=290183570336

they make u-bolts in custom sizes and will do a set with two u-shaped and two square for me at same price, but what size/grade should I get?

And how important do you think it is to buy new u-bolts instead of using old ones? I've used old ones on axle swaps before and never thought much of it, but I want do do this swap right.

So what are most of you using on your axle swaps?

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 4FF3E9EEA14805 Expires: October 1st, 2020

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Long as they are still good and big enough re-use them. I used 9/16 or 5/8" on my Toyota, can't remember at the moment, had a local spring shop make them while I waited. I told them the diameter, length and U or square and it took like 15 minutes. Bought nuts and washers from them too and was cheaper and I didn't have to hack a bunch of extra off the ends when I was done.

I would do the U type with the nuts up if you can. I don't usually do plated cause mine get scuffed up on the rocks fast anyways, but rustbelt I would do plated.

That auction you posted sounds good price and quality.

Last edited:

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
How many people are running 5/8" u-bolts on their axles?
or 9/16, or 1/2"
and what about grade 5 vs grade 8-most u-bolt adds don't specify what grade, so I bet there probably not grade 8, so is grade 8 needed for u-bolts?

madmax401

Reaction score
check out "ruff stuff specialties." they have kits for that and are thcker than stock -heavy as hell. simple swap kits include leaf spring perches- shock mounts - u bolts and plates for 110 bux. cant beat that .

slammer67

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I bought 2 sets of 5/8's grade 8 bolts with shipping for about $65.

from ebay seller palmerspring

they were made to order and I got a set with two round and two square u-bolts for the front d44 and a set of four round for the ford 9".

thanks for the link though.