• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Typical Trade Rules

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A friend I know at skool offered to trade me some tires and wheels the other day.

The terms of the trade was he was trading me some brand new off brand A/T tires on some deep-dish Outlaw II steel wheels, for my Well Worn 31" BFG Long Trail radials on the same wheels just not deep-dished.

I agreed and brought my jack, 4-way, and tires/wheels to skool the next day. At the end of the skool day I go to my truck to find that the guy and his friends have already begun changing the wheels/tires.

I was pretty mad that they had done this, then they proceeded to make matters worse by jacking the vehicle (a wrangler) :annoyed: up to the point it was teetering on the jack. I bit my tongue and kept thinking about how nice the wheels would look on my truck. After they had finished changing the wheels I shook his hand and left, making sure that I had everything.

Move forward in time to earlier tonight. I went to our normal hangout spot (wal-mart parking lot) and pulled in. I had put the wheels on my ranger and was very pleased with how it looked. My friends really liked it as well.

The boy I traded with comes over and says "Hey man, my parents are pissed! they want me to trade you the rims back." I said "why?" He says "They were deep-dished and they paid for them, you can keep the tires, I just want the rims back."

What am I supposed to do? I made sure with him eye to eye that it was a STRAIGHT trade with no B.S.

What would you do?

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
how good of friends are you with him? i would have a hard time giving them back.

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not that good of friends. Just a guy I know, we skipped skool once and went wheeling together. Thats about it. If I do anything I'm going to give him the tires and wheels and tell him to go and have them swapped. He will have to eat the Mount/Dismount/balancing charges.

midget

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6
Transmission
Manual
Say "tough..." well you get the idea but then again Im not a very friendly person when people try to back out on deals. Personally I dont deal with highschool kids b/c stuff like this happens I bought some stuff of a kid that was still in highschool only to have him come back to me and ask for it back after he spent the money.

Good rule of thumb deal in CASH deal UPFRONT and no bs to back out on or screw up I cant tell you how much I have been screwed by letting people "pay me later" If someone wants to make payments make sure its 1 payment upfront.

Last edited:

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
If that was me, First off, I would have got everything in writing and signed by both parties, and witnessed by at least one other person from each party. And secondly, unless there are any specific markings on them that distinguish them from other of that style, there is really nothing anyone can do. If you had friends who were with you and saw the exchange go on, then all it is, is a "their word against yours" sort of affair. At this point, I would go out and get a set of locking wheel nuts and take pictures of them on your truck, so then that way you won't come out of your house and find your truck on blocks or the old rims and the nice ones gone. But it did seem like a fair trade, and once the objects are exchanged, the transaction is complete.

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I dont do payments either. I made sure it was upfront, he did go behind my back and change them before I was there, sure. I made sure it was agreed upon and he said yes. Now hes backing out after the fact.

I'v been burned on a deal so many times its not funny. After owning 14 vehicles at the age of 18 I learned relativity quick that your going to get lemons, the only thing you can do is make the best of it, Lemon aid.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
tell him he is out of luck. Do what Shoeboy said with the locking wheel nuts and pictures.

RebelAssaultTruk

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if his parents are involved then hes an idiot, and probly young. keep your pride and dignity, id say trade back. its not like your losing anything...put urself in his shoes lol....if you can imagine yourself being that dumb of a person. u can keep them and it would be fair, but i duno in my nature, if he had such a problem with it, i wouldnt wanna live with it...im happy with a trade if my counterpart is happy. any agree with me?

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree with rebel assault truck. The kid isn't really a bad dude. He is just caught up in a bad deal. Though he still should have checked with his parents. If I have to eat a set of tires so what. Ill just trade back. I'm not laying down so he can step on me either. After all there just a set of sexy chrome steelies with 2.5" backspacing :drool:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
There are three possible outcomes I see here. The first is not trading back, in which case be prepared to take a lot of shit from his friends. Second, you trade back and they give you shit about that too. The third is everyone walks away happy. It's kind of a toss up...I would probably trade back and make him mount and balance yours or no deal.

adv5500

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
if he's over 18 i'd tell him to pound sand. If he's younger i'd switch back with him

graff104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Go roast the tires all around town and get the tread low then trade back :)

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
There are three possible outcomes I see here. The first is not trading back, in which case be prepared to take a lot of shit from his friends. Second, you trade back and they give you shit about that too. The third is everyone walks away happy. It's kind of a toss up...I would probably trade back and make him mount and balance yours or no deal.
I'm kind of in agreement with this. Tell him "look, we had a deal. If you want just the rims back YOU pay the money for the tire swap or forget it."

Seems kind of odd that he traded new tires/rims for used ones just because of the offset.

PickupMan04 FX4 L2

you had a deal! Dont back out! make him face the consequences with his folks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals