• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tweeters! Ka-boom!

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
So far, I've managed to blow the tweets on my Orion 5x7's not just once, but TWICE! In less than a month! The first pair was warrantied out, even though they were out of warranty by like 2 months, and I still have the second pair in the truck... havent replaced them yet.

The ones that keep blowing are the front door speakers, I even faded the sound a bit to the rear and brought the highs down a few decibels to try and keep them from blowing after the first pair went...the factory speakers are still installed in the rear and they seem to be handling the abuse rather well.

My question is, what in the world could cause the tweets to keep going out, when I dont even push them that hard? Something isn't right, but I dont know what.

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
Think it matches up properly....cant remember off the top of my head for sure though. I'll check the impedances when I get home.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
do they use any crossover?? if they do check if its connected the right way(red/black wires), if not try adding some crossovers or filters

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Underpowering the tweeters will blow them.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
hummm... complicated then:icon_confused:

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Underpowering the tweeters will blow them.
Under powering will NOT harm anything. It's possible he got 2 sets of bad tweeters, or maybe there just cheap speakers, I've seen it before and I know I'll see it again.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
yeah.. i got a pair of jbl speakers once, they were old ones, so the tweeter was almost dead on one and had a hole on the 2nd, so the made this horrible noise, so i cutted the little wires that went to them, and problem solved, i got some nice bass and low mids :D

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Under powering will NOT harm anything. It's possible he got 2 sets of bad tweeters, or maybe there just cheap speakers, I've seen it before and I know I'll see it again.
under power in its self will not "harm" anything but the clipping caused by under power will toast them. you said your ohms are right, id check to make sure your cross overs are right/working. if you dont have cross overs with them maybe a bass blocker in line will help.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
The best explination I've seen and you are correct. Cheap speakers tend to use low quality capacitors in their crossovers. Low quality caps have a history of failing especially as volume (not power) increases. And you will see it again.

The reason I make my own crossovers.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals