• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TV setup for truck

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
I got an Insignia 19" TV, cheapest set you can get, under 100 with tax. Seems nice. Picking up about 30 stations on-air with crappy antenna.

Here's what I want to do:

1. Long term project: Deep cycle marine battery, with inverter, fairly large, wire through fuse box, and use that to power devices. Most inverters have USB charging ports as well which is nice. That would be a permanent-type installation. It would isolate the truck's battery so I wouldn't worry about not being able to start the truck, plus, assuming the deep cycle battery had juice, it would be a backup for starting just in case. How to charge deep cycle battery? a) trickle charger, at home, when it's getting low or b) have a cutoff switch so it would charge via truck's regular charging system, but, when using it, open that switch so as not to discharge truck's battery or c) maybe, solar charger on roof for it, but, so far what I read about these is sketchy, so, probably wouldn't go that route. In this future setup I'd have a pretty good size inverter, maybe 1k watts or something like that, if I were doing it, might as well do it right. Wiring would be permanently installed and hidden so far as that can be done.

2. Short term project: TV takes .8A @ 120 so that translates, I think, to 8A@12V (corret me if I'm wrong there). At this point I only want it for short use, like, I have to be one place, then another place, and instead of driving home then driving again, I just go to second place and watch the news for a half hour or something. Just a way to kill time, save gas, and not be bored. So short term I'm thinking just one of those inverters that plugs into the 12V Aux on the dash would work. I hate cords hanging all over the place, but just to start, that could work. Something like maybe 150 watts inverter should be ok (again, correct me if I'm wrong there.

3. Additional features.

a) rather than install expensive Nav/stereo and replace existing OEM stereo/CD, which works fine, if what I really want is the Nav part, I -should- be able to output from my Alcatel phone's USB port to the HDMI input of the TV. The TV does have USB input, and that works from the phone, but it expects to see a directory of photos, that's nice, but not what I want. I am thinking, and here's where I need advice, there are adapters USB to HDMI so I am thinking that if that works, then, I would have Nav, because I could go to Google maps on the phone, and then see it on the TV, and it would be massively big compared to what fits in the dash. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-4-high-speed-hdmi-to-mini-hdmi-cable-black/6186216.p?skuId=6186216 is the adapter. So if someone has done this (phone to HDMI on tv), or knows about it, or, I just buy it, try it, if it doesn't work, take it back. It would be awesome if it worked. Casting from phone to tv would be an option but, then we are talking different equipment altogether because I think neither my phone nor tv can do that. Probably with an Apple phone and a Jensen tv you could do it, but I'm not going there.

b) input sound from the TV and/or phone to the truck's stereo. I'm using the tv in my shop, with sound output to a regular amp/speakers, that works great. However the OEM stereo, I'm not sure how I would get that to work. Newer vehicles have a place you can plug in aux input, but my truck doesn't have that, unless I've missed it somehow. I'm wondering if I could simply install the aux port, how they usually work is if it's plugged in, the stereo chooses that. I don't know if it would be simply a matter of wiring it to the OEM stereo, or, if it's simply not possible. That is just for sound, but you can see how then when you watch tv you can have the sound through the truck's speakers, or you can listen to music from the phone, etc. I know nowadays there is Bluetooth and so on but without a major upgrade to stereo (read: expensive) I'm not thinking in that direction. As far as, does the basic idea work, certainly I could try it on another vehicle here that does have the audio aux in port, I imagine it would work fine.
---

As to the tv in the truck, it's small, no problem fitting it, or taking in/out so it can do double-duty in shop and truck, and ultimately I'd probably want some kind of arrangement where it could flip down or something and be held securely when not in use. Obviously one does not watch tv (but Nav, yeah) when driving. Usually new systems wire through the park brake sensor or trans park position sensor so it disables tv if not parked, but I don't need that, I'm not dumb enough to try to watch tv and drive at the same time. But say you were stuck in traffic on the interstate waiting at a standstill for an hour for an accident to clear. It'd be pretty nice then for sure.

I sure appreciate any help you all can give me on this.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its better to mount an inverter with the battery, so the LARGE 12volt 40amp wires are short, then run the 110vAC "extension cord" into the cab or ?? for the 110vAC, put a power bar on it with USB charger if you want
And its safer, lower voltage requires higher amps, and higher voltage lower amps on the wire being used

You use an Isolator between truck battery and Deep Cycle battery, this chargers both batteries when engine is running, but only drains deep cycle battery when engine is off
You would need jumper cables to use deep cycle battery to start engine

You can add a plug in at the grill or ?? so you can charge battery when external AC power is available, just like a plug in for block heater

Does the new TV have WiFi or a network port, a "smart TV"?
If not you can use a Roku or Fire stick that plugs into HDMI port on TV

You can then use your phone as a Hot Spot so TV can stream video via cell service internet

Yes, you can get a USB-C to HDMI cable to hook phone directly to TV
USB-C is the most common for Android phones but YOUR PHONE will decide which adapter cable you need to use

Just as a heads up, there is no such thing as a "digital TV antenna" or "HD antenna", so don't pay extra, lol
Digital TV signals are still broadcast on VHF and UHF analog carrier frequencies, so any antenna from 1940s and up still works for those frequencies
VHF antennas use a different design than UHF, i.e. "rabbit ears" were fine for VHF, UHF often looks like a "net"

Last edited:

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
Ah, isolator. Perfect. Yes, jumpers, or, swap them, but deep cycle probably would not fit battery mounting, it's probably bigger. Thanks for the tip. I have jumpers... messy to carry... probably would only do that if I were headed to the wilds. I have roadside assist on my insurance, it's peanuts, and surely they could jump, if I were on regular roads, yes it would be a wait. I could have toolbox mounted, but then you lose part of the bed length, and I need that. Maybe a small tool box lined up to the fender well would be ok since that space isn't so usable anyway.

Man these are great ideas. Yes I remember dipstick heaters with the plug hanging out. I guess I would want a different kind of plug so no one made the mistake of plugging it to AC. Or else you'd need another inverter to convert 120AC to 12DC? I imagine the inverters only work one way (in other words, couldn't use the inverter in reverse to charge the battery) (?). I guess what I'm saying there is, wouldn't I still have to use my trickle charger? Which is fine... sorry if I'm dense about this.

Um... no, the little tv doesn't have WiFi or network port. It has 2 HDMI and USB (latter expects to see a flash drive with photos on it). Ultimately something like the Jensen 19" would be nice, it has all kinds of stuff, but for under 100 the Insignia is just to get something going, plus, I've always wanted a tv in the shop, it's a little company in the background. For the money, the little tv is really good, the software and the remote are set up really well and the picture says on the box 720p but the on-screen info says it's 1080i ... whatever that means, anyway, it's a good picture so for the money you can't beat it.

I see where you're going with the WiFi, is there a device to hook into the HDMI port that receives WiFi?

i have Alcatel phone, Model A574BL running Android 7.7.1. Not sure if that tells you anything helpful. I'm ready to take it to Best Buy and tell them, give me the right cord and show me it works before I leave (or else I get it and if it doesn't work bring it back). Yes then you have another cord, but, you also don't have the sometimes aggravating wireless hookups. If it had network port how would that help me in the truck? Would I have to have a receiver that plugs into it to receive WiFi?

Looks like they do have cords that hook the phone to the TV plus they are charging the phone at the same time, that's really good. Now if those work with my phone I'd be good to go.

Also I'll check what other models -do- have WiFi or network ports, but I think then you are either talking larger set, which, technically I could go to, say, 24" diag, for not a lot more money, or else, 19" Jensen, but then you are talking like 300+ range.

These https://www.amazon.com/s?k=12+volt+isolator&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIseTs2cqG8wIVksDICh1qNAWkEAAYASAAEgKxePD_BwE&hvadid=410020242930&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9008687&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=17312701597642055193&hvtargid=kwd-297775524898&hydadcr=7469_11110495&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_6ra97rqv6a_e
are the isolators, right? That's awesome, then you don't have to remember to throw a switch.

THANK YOU RonD.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I added to my above post

You install a trickle charger in with the battery, permanent, the plug in at the grill is a MALE 110vAC so an extension cord from the house can be plugged in to it to charge battery
Examples of smaller chargers seen here: https://www.batterystuff.com/battery-chargers/12-volt/0-4amps/
You want a "smart charger" so it lowers amps when battery is fully charged

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Hdmi is only video signal. You can not use it like USB. It is a totally different kind of signal. USB transfers power and data. Wifi is a radio based networking architecture for data transfer.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Your tv plan sounds cool. If I would recommend, for the battery system, use the painless dual battery wiring kit. It comes with everything necessary for the installation (except the battery cable). I have an Optima 34/78 yellow top under the hood, and another 34/78 in the toolbox in the bed of the truck. The system has worked flawlessly for the past 10 years. I personally used #2 welding cable (the ultraflex kind). It is extremely flexible and is easier to route than regular cable. There was also extremely minimal voltage drop.

I have not finished my project yet (it always falls to the bottom of the list). I had built a storage box to sit behind the driver seat, where I would mount my inverter. For an inverter, I would look for something AT LEAST 200 watts continuous, 400 peak. Also make sure that it is designed for sensitive electronics. I think Harbor freight sells a 400/800 for about $50. It is a little expensive, but the inverter would be able to do more than you need, i.e. you would not have to upgrade if you wanted more power. The smaller inverters do ok if all you want to do is charge a cell phone.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm having a hard time with where you will mount it... 19 in screen is pretty big for a cab of a Ranger/Mazda.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I'm having a hard time with where you will mount it... 19 in screen is pretty big for a cab of a Ranger/Mazda.
Passenger seat area? Roof? Carry it upstairs into the rooftop tent?

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
Hdmi is only video signal. You can not use it like USB. It is a totally different kind of signal. USB transfers power and data. Wifi is a radio based networking architecture for data transfer.
Well, HDMI has audio as well, right? It would have to... when I hook up cable box to tv or computer to tv, I get sound.

Yeah USB -in- on tv's think you are putting a flash drive of pictures. But USB out on phones does have a signal that converts to HDMI with the correct plug, and it should also charge the phone at the same time.

Does that make sense?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
USB-3.1 can transfer 5Gbps so can do audio and Video, that would be a function of the phone if thats available
USB 3.2 can do 10Gbps
These usually use the USB-C connector type, oval and no up or down orientation

As for charging the phone, you will have to wait and see, thats a TV function in this application, but most TV USB ports do have the 5volts available to do that

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
Right, I have Alcatel and it appears even new Alcatel phones have the micro-USB which has an orientation (that's a real weakness) plus they are known to not work well with HDMI, Best Buy told me they stopped selling the cable (micro USB to HDMI) because they were almost always returned. On the other hand, USB-C seems to work well, and it looks like the cheapest you can get there would be the low-end Samsung phones. I'm not sure whether they are 3.1 or 3.2, tech specs should say. Anyway, to do what I want, which is Nav (Google maps) on the tv, I need to go to a different phone, then it should work. I think most new phones even if not that expensive, should do the audio/video through the USB-C (with converter cable to make it HDMI-connectable).

I'd like to get the sound to come through the speakers, which I could do in a newer car via the audio-out on the tv, connected to the audio aux-in port, which I don't have on my truck. But it seems like there would be a way to wire one into the back of the stereo? Then I'd have the sound coming thru the truck speakers. Of course newer stuff does these things, Bluetooth phone, muting of speakers with phone call, all that. I"m kind of just kluging stuff together on the cheap.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Some TVs have an Audio OUT, i.e. headphone jack, and some don't, so heads up, look for that connection
Some have Digital audio out, so you would need a converter to hook it up to car system

Car systems that don't have an AUX audio IN can't be upgraded to use one, well would cost way more than a new one that did have that, lol
BUT..................
Google: car radio fm transmitter

Its a simple way to get your audio onto your cars system
You chose an unused(in your area) FM radio frequency, so no outside interference, and your audio is broadcast on that frequency
So its just another "radio" channel you can tune into
Hard wire is best, plugs into your radios antenna cable on the back

You STILL NEED the audio OUT from the TV

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
Yes I have "headphone jack", it feeds to aux on my old Pioneer stereo (in the shop) and it has variable audio out which is really nice so you don't have to adjust it on the stereo. So that would work fine to get sound to the truck speakers, given the connection (which I'd have to make, you say not worth it). It turns off the tv speakers when you plug it in. The little Insignia tv has a lot of features for its size/price and its software (menus) are great as well, can't say that about some of the high end tv's even.

Hm... interesting about the Google car radio, I'll check it out. Assume that is on Google Play store. THANKS. Yeah hard wire is always nicer.

I use the tv in my shop for a little background company, and it's so small you can pick it up with one hand easily and move it to the kitchen, truck, whatever. Seems to me like 12V tv's are just a waste of money.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do a search for "car radio fm transmitter"

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals