• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turning Crank Manual but does not move 360 degrees?

blbzeckhart

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'll give you the back story after I present the problem:
1994 4.0L OHV VIN X (overheated, milky oil)
Replacement engine from junkyard, out of the vehicle does not crank a full 360 when turning crankshaft with a socket and wrench. "Junkyard states is a good engine, 6 month warranty, and supposedely started before removal?
I didnt try to manually turn engine over via crankshaft prior to install.
So, uninstalling failed motor because of overheat, wont run condition. ON UNINSTALL, no problem manually turning crank to remove 4 torque converter nuts from studs, through starter hole.
Install Junkyard replacement Motor, cannot rotate crank all the way to get all torque converter nuts on. Initially thinking torque converter not in all the way, somehow engine to trans cock-eyed?, or engine has bent valves?
Unbolted engine to trans. Torque Converter seems in all the way? While separated, Engine will not crank 360, with flywheel attached? Is my junkyard motor bad, bent valves? with all 8 bolts in and tight with engine to trans, cannot get all 4 torque converter nuts on bolts. Now separated. Engine will not rotate 360?? I think bad engine from junkyard! Thoughts?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I agree. Go ahead and separate it from the trans, lift it up a little bit so it's hanging in the engine bay, and then try to turn it. If it won't turn, I suspect a bad engine from the junkyard also. Did you have the intake assembly off? Maybe a bolt fell down into the intake?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 4.0l OHV engine is a non-interference engine so at no time can valves and pistons touch

So either there is something inside a cylinder that is preventing a piston from going all the way up, or a connecting rod has broken and preventing crank from turning past a certain point

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I bought a 5.0 like that once. Found water in a couple cylinders--which won't compress and that stops it from rotating.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Pull the spark plugs and see if it rotates all the way.

blbzeckhart

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah so I separated it, pulled the plugs, the engine just won't rotate all the way around. While installed I could never get the 4th bolt on torque converter because it locks up. Tried going both ways.
Never had intake or valve covers off. Just supposed to be an easy swap, lol.
Also, since I unbolted and separated this junkyard engine I double checked the torque converter again. It is all the way in and rotates all the way around. Problem seems to be engine. Before calling the junkyard, on a 4.0 ohv should you be able to rotate the crank all the way around in either direction?
What else could prevent being able to install all 4 torque converter nuts on while bolted together?
If the engine won't turn all the way out of the vehicle, surely something in the engine must be bad. No?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, always was some problem in the engine preventing it from turning
I would call the seller and ask them what they want you to do, pull it or investigate it

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I bet they will exchange it if they have another one available. They seem to lay all the testing on you, since you are doing all the work. Most have a 30 day warranty. Who knows how many you will have to try before you get a good one.

I went to get a radiator at a junkyard, they led me back to a old school bus full of them. Everything was labeled. He found one and was going to pull it out, but I looked down in the throat and it was full of white corrosion. I told him I didn't want it because of that. He gave me a disgusted look, put it back in the rack and pulled another one. It looked good inside, so I took it. I bet someone else got the other radiator.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Have you tried pulling the flex plate/flywheel off and turning it? Perhaps someone dropped a bolt or nut between the block and flex plate?

blbzeckhart

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Not sure if I updated on this issue, but here is what happened. So I called the junkyard and they suggested that their was carbon build up in the cylinders from sitting (possibly) and that is why the engine would not rotate 360 degrees? The junkyard owner had said he had seen this issue at least a dozen times and would be willing to bet is what the issue is. Skeptical, I thought this was really far fetched because I am rotating the engine by the crank pulley bolt with a breaker bar and it only spins 3/4 turns one way and the same the other and locks up. Many people in this forum suggested wrong flywheel bolts, could be hitting. Take plugs out, to much compression, bent valves, ect. Anyway, after I installed motor and bolted to trans I could never rotate the Engine all the way to put on all 4 torque converter nuts. So I ended up pulling engine back out. Removed plugs, removed flywheel, still no crank 360. I was ready to return motor, something internal wrong or bent/broke. So, as suggested by the junkyard......blow compressed air into each spark plug hole. When I did loose carbon and debris shot out everywhere. I also decided to use brake clean a very small amount in each hole to loosen up some more. Continued to rotate Crank pulley and also blowing out more carbon deposits and finally it freed it up. I was eventually able to crank by hand the engine 360 degrees in both directions. The reason I decided to use brake clean is because it lubricates and cleans and also dries out fast. I figured while using compressed air also, it would definatley dry it out. Either way, I would NEVER have imagined carbon build up, dried up soot, burt oil deposits would lock up a motor? I re-installed motor and had no problem installing all 4 converter nuts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals