• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turn signals inop, abs light on, related to the key?

AOMills

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
This has been a quirk that I've grown accustomed to over the years but has gotten worse and is now a real annoyance. It's a multi-step routine...

1. Start & drive my 1990 Bronco II
2. Drives fine
3. Without provocation, Rear ABS light illuminates/turn signals become inoperative/battery stops charging
4. *The fix* Roll ignition key back just a few degrees then roll forward again a few degrees. ABS light brightens for a second, then turns off. Turn signals function, battery charges as normal.

Simple as that. I used to have to do this once every couple trips and it didn't bother me. Now it does it a few times each trip and is becoming a hazard. I thought a new ignition cylinder would fix it but it hasn't. I really don't know where to start with this one. Anyone dealt with this before?
:dunno:

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: F9A1A579ACFAD1: October 1st, 2021

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Sounds like the ignition switch itself is bad. the cylinder is only a mechanical interface for the switch. the switch itself is inside the column on the bottom (I think...maybe someone else can confirm) and the cylinder activates it through a linkage.

Sooo.... you get to take the column apart :(

AJ