• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turn Signals/Flashers out

Rex2nr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I parked my truck (99 XLT supercab 4.0 5spd short bed) Tuesday night and hadn't had any issues with the signals or hazards.

Yesterday I was off so I decided I should mount the hitch I picked up Tuesday night. I only mounted the hitch- I haven't run a wiring kit yet.

This morning I have no signals or flashers. I see the common issue is with the switch and flasher relays. Before I start testing and swapping those, is there a ground at the rear that would cause the signals to stop functioning? It seems too coincidental. It was also very rainy here yesterday, so I'm not sure if something could have gotten wet.

Thanks!

Rex2nr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fuse #21 was blown- swapped it out and I have working signals. If I hit the flashers, the fuse pops- even with a 20amp, instantly.

Flasher Relay?

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Well, my go to position is that if it worked before you worked on it, you broke it!!!

So, IMO, you need to go back and look at everything you got near while doing the work.

And, yes, there are ground wires back there. I believe one on each side.

Rex2nr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not doubting I did it! I did check around but didn't see any broke wiring but there is a section of the harness that seems pinched a bit- not sure if it was like that before or if something shifted installing the hitch.

Rex2nr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I should have dropped my spare tire when installing the hitch- I managed to but a bolt through the wiring harness and tore most of the wires and burned out the flasher. oops.

Some solder, heat shrink, new flashers and fuses and all is good.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I should have dropped my spare tire when installing the hitch- I managed to but a bolt through the wiring harness and tore most of the wires and burned out the flasher. oops.

Some solder, heat shrink, new flashers and fuses and all is good.
Glad you fixed it. Heh heh, I was patching the floor on a 528e and put a 1/8 bit through the wiring harness running from the dash to the back of the car. I had to mend a dozen torn up wires. :D

Last edited:

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Wish I had the money I've spent over the years fixing the stuff I tore up "fixing" something else!!!

Glad you got it fixed! Ed

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals