• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

turn signals 1990 ranger

dmaloney

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 90 ranger 4.0 2wd reg cab and my turn signals are not working.
i have replaced both flashers and if i replace the fuse as soon as i install one and hit the switch the fuse blows. i have replaced both rear turn signal sockects due to a residue that looked like it could have been shorting out the fuse, yet it didnt fix it. i have the multi funtion swith removed and cant see and burn marks or any indication of a short. i am just looking for ideas at this point and any help would be appreciated thank you.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There should be a connnector in the middle between the bed and bumper. Disconnect that (isolates the rears). If the fuse still blows, look for a chafed wire TO that Multifunction switch connector, specifically looking at the LB (light blue) wire from the flasher.

See here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagram_turn_stop_hazard.JPG

I suggest cleaning the grounds on the inside of each front fender and raiator core.

Multifunction switch problems are not uncommon. I'd like to know how well the hazards and brake lights work.

Welcome to The Ranger Station.

dmaloney

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok thanks and as far as the flashers and brake lights they are working as if there is no problem. which to me means the flasher relay is good and i know that the hazards work of of a seperate relay. and the sockects and bulbs are now good all the way around.

dmaloney

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
so i checked all the grounds and cleaned them. i disconnected the switch to isolate the rear lamps and the fuse still continues to blow. could it be a defective multi funtion switch?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Very likely.

One way to tell is disconnect the MFS.

On its connector, jumper the LB wire to the LG/W wire, the LF and Indicator should flash fast (key in Run).

Repeat to each of these wires:

LB to LG/O Left rear
LB to O/LB Right front and Indicator in dash
LB to W/LB Right rear

All should flash fast. If that happens, replace the Multifunction switch.

dmaloney

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so I jumped each connector from one to the next and it still doesn't work. I am still blowing the fuse as well. Could that me that there is a bad fuse box.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...top_hazard.JPG

"jumped each connector from one to the next and it still doesn't work"

What do you mean? Did the fuse blow every time you made each of those jumper connections? If so, your problem is between the MFS and the flasher (LB wire shorted to chassis).

90 had the hinged fusebox in the cab. pop that thing down and do a thorough visual inspection of the LB wire. If you have tilt steering wheel, look where the harness flexes.

dmaloney

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
The fuse actually blows as soon as the key is turned on.

dmaloney

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I found the problem I had I wire that had been touching the exhaust manifold causing the short.

90RXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
90 Ford same lighting problems

We just purchased a 1990 Ford Ranger for our son. We believed the guy who sold it to us when he said the instrument light had just gone out, and was a fuse. Stupid us, we believed him.
At this point, the headlights worked when turned on, and brake lights worked...but no blinkers on either front or back.
When we got it home, there were actually 2 fuses out of the panel, # 5, and # 13. We replaced those: Headlights still normal, only front driver's blinker worked when signalling left, when signalling right- only both rear lights flashed.
Got to thinking it was the multi function switch, but saw a recommendation to clean it before buying a new one, so that's what I did. Now, headlights stay on no matter what, even when they are turned off. Only way to get them off, is to unplug the connecter at MFS (the one with the red/yellow wire), or disconnect battery.
Have checked all fuses, and all seem to be good. Flasher is working, can hear it clicking. Unbolted and cleaned ground on fender apron, but no help. Any ideas on a next step? I did read on here about a ground that was located between the bed and tailights- should I try that? Thanks in advance!

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
First step I would recommend is starting a new thread. Attaching a post like this to the end of a 6 month old resolved thread usually results in it getting overlooked. From what I'm reading I doubt that you have the exact same issue as the OP it just sounds similar. I understand that we have a tendency of jumping on new people for asking questions before searching, but you searched and didn't find the answer so it's okay to start a new thread.

Last edited:

90RXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok JoshT. And, if you have any ideas, please post them to the new thread.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals