Turn key and nothing

TLBNut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford, Ranger
Ok, I just bought a 1993 Ranger 2.3L 5 spd, it will not start. If you turn the key, power comes on but no start. I can start it if I turn key on and use a jumper wire from the positive post to the "S" terminal on the solenoid. I have replaced the following items, one at a time and no change. The Battery, clutch sensor switch, Battery cables, solenoid, Key lock cylinder and ignition switch. I am stumped. If I am not mistaken the only thing left in that system is the Ignition Control Module? That is a pricey part, so I want to be sure.

Thank you,

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 248EE46702D889 Expires: October 1, 2019

Uncle Gump

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead, Follow or get out of my way
Did you check the clutch switch?

TLBNut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford, Ranger
Ah yes I knew I forgot something in the post, yes I did replace the clutch sensor switch.

Ranger850

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
maybe the Bendix in the starter us stuck out.???? just throwing that out there :icon_confused:

86merc5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
When it starts with the jumper wire does the engine sound normal ( do you hear the bendex spinning constantly while truck idles ? ). p.s. did you get my p.m. about other parts ?. also my Rangers are 5 speeds, I may have used parts you can try ( mine are 4.0l ) not sure what all crosses over. Also I have the factory Ranger repair books, Contact me if you want to use them.

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1992 START circuit is pretty simple with manual trans

When you turn the key to START a Red/light blue stripe wire sends 12v from ignition switch(under steering column) to clutch switch(on clutch pedal pushrod)
Next to this red/light blue wire on the clutch switch is a Pink wire
These two wires are usually #5 and #6 on the 6 wire clutch switch connector

The Pink wire runs thru the firewall and becomes a red/light blue wire that runs to the "S" post on the starter relay(solenoid)

Battery-------ignition switch-----(red/blue)-------clutch switch-----(pink)-----firewall----(red/blue)----starter relay

I would start at clutch switch, make sure you are getting 12v on red/blue wire when key is in START
You can jumper red/blue and pink wire together to see if START now works, if it does then new clutch switch is bad or not closing like it should with pedal all the way down

Last edited: