• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turbocharging help (injectors, tuning,etc)

Christine_4.0xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So here we are ladies and gentlemen, I'm tired of earth shattering 160ish hp that my 4.0 ohv struggles to make and I'm seriously considering turboing the old girl. I've already pretty much decided on how I'm going about it and most of the details but I keep stumbling over the tuning aspect. I know I'll probably have to get a tuner (been looking at SCTs products) but some people say the stock 19lbs injectors are ok with a tune, some say 24lbs injectors AND tune are better, and some say injectors alone are ok. I'm not used to tuning a gas engine let alone a newer efi one. I'm pretty much ok with whatever I have to do i just want to make sure I'm doing it the correct way

Thanks in advance

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I answered your post in the 4.0 forum. What are you looking to do with it? The tune and equipment you get will matter for that.

Other things to look at that can make a difference too is. What size tires do you have (in inches) and what gears do you have in your axle(s)? Too tall a tire or a mismatched gear set for what your is equipped with makes a difference too. There is a tire vs gear chart in the tech section that will help with that.

For example, when I had a 1998 Ranger, it had the 2.5 Lima and 3.45:1 gearing in the axle. It couldn’t get out of it’s own way. Things got a lot better when I put a 4.10:1 axle under it.

Another is my 2011. This one is self inflicted and will be fixed in the future. It had the 4.0 SOHC and 3.73:1 gears. Ok in the stock configuration, not great but ok. I put 31” tires on it and now it struggles in certain situations (we have steep hills here which doesn’t help). It really should have at least 4.10:1 gearing now. Since I tow and there is some off road driving I do, 4.56:1 is a better match.

Look at how your truck is setup and how you plan to use it. It might need some tweaking beyond force feeding it. Heck, the tweaks might be all you need and it would be cheaper. Or maybe not.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals