• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turbocharge a 95 2.3

Twunny3Hunnert

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll begin with an apology if I missed an obvious thread on this topic already.

I've got a turbo with manifold from an 86 Thunderbird. I'm having a very difficult time finding anyone whos strapped one of these onto the dual plug 2.3 from the mid 90s. Anyone have a tech reference or maybe know what I might be getting my self into, ie (difficulties with ECM, intake, etc)?

Mine is 95 2.3 with 101xxx actual on it. Just recently did the timing belt kit, she runs pretty good and seems to be a good candidate for some forced induction.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
if you are just wanting to go low boost and simple, you should be able to run about 5psi if you put larger fuel injectors in (I believe there are some 19lb injectors to replace the stock 14lb) and that's about it up to about 5psi boost, if you are planning for any more than that you need to plan on replacing the pistons with forged ones.

Twunny3Hunnert

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if you are just wanting to go low boost and simple, you should be able to run about 5psi if you put larger fuel injectors in
So you say my ECM won't freak out, all I'll need are some bigger injectors. I know I'm just repeating you, but I'm thinking i'm going to jump into it this weekend.

5lbs of boost should be a noticeable upgrade.

Twunny3Hunnert

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just noticed this entire discussion should be in Turbo. sorry.

beluga420

March 2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
2012 Truck of The Year
2013 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3t
Transmission
Manual
19 lbs injectors won't be enought for 5 lbs, they are maxing out at 3 psi.. I would get a tune even if you're running 5 psi if you care about the pistons not melting... Also not sure but your stock maf may be pegging out pretty fast get a 90 mm lightning one.

Turbo a car/truck isnt as easy as bolting manifold/turbo and go! I wouldn't try without(MINIMUM) bigger injectors(100$), and a tune(apexi could do the job, maybe 100-200$? ) with a wideband o2 sensor(100) to make sure your engine won't blow up in the first pulls you do..

Lets say you add 500$ in parts with the manifold and turbo you already have, then you should be ready to start... Plus an exhaust line, and tubing from turbo to intake or intercooler if you want one..

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
actually beluga I think hes right. Pretty sure one member did 9psi on 19s. Not recommended, but its a possibility. Think you need to have a way to tune, and lock out timing under boost.

BoostCreep89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
imo

Im sorry but 5 psi will leave you wanting more!! no joke!! just do the forged pistons and rods( make sure to get lower compression dished pistions or get the stock head ported you want about 9:1 compression) then go from there... much less headach way more fun

beluga420

March 2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
2012 Truck of The Year
2013 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3t
Transmission
Manual
Might be possible... But mines were 17lbs too not 19ers so maybe more... but @3-4psi and 4500-5000rpm in 3rd gear it was jumping from 12s to 16s and going up in the AF... But I didn't go any further lol. Maybe on a stock setup it's all different too, 4500 rpms is where all the power explodes on my engine..

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You could turn up the fuel pressure too!, but getting some 24s from what ever ford it was that they came from stock is probubly the best idea.

huggyb1972

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87'
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3l soon to be Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I was wondering the same thing as the OP we recently accuired a 93' Ranger and it is MAF to start with I have almost everything I need short of a intercooler.

From what I am hearing/reading the stock ecm will suport the add on with addition of larger MAF, injectors, wideband O2 and a tune.
What is the timing lock out all about?
I have a trail toy ranger and was wanting to keep the weight low and a turboed 2.3 would be as light as I could get budgetwise.
What other things besides the forged pistons do I need?

I would start my own thread but this one starts off with my original question and I already have a build thread but it is only at the suspension stage.

DCinDC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I do believe the 95 has the skinny rods. I know it has the small port 8 plug head.

We turbo'd one of these in a 4x4 with 33s, and it pulled well. Be conservative on boost. We only did 8 psi with an FMU.

beluga420

March 2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
2012 Truck of The Year
2013 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3t
Transmission
Manual
Yeah 95 and up have the crappy rods, olders one have the forged rods.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals