• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

turbo sensors

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
ok, i am starting to collect the parts i need for a turbo swap in my 88. So far i have the turbo computer, its a pc 1 ou tof a 85 mustang svo. got it on ebay. for the sensors i need, the vane air meter, barometric pressure sensor, boost control solenoid, intake air temp sensor. is it specific that i have to have them from another svo, or from a turbo coupe? and i assume aftermarket pieces would be fine, I just need to know for when i go junkyard crawling or ebaying next. Any help would be appreciated~thanks

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
if you are using a PC1, that's what I have, you need the VAM from a '85 or '86 T bird (or equivalent mustang)

you can most likely leave the map sensor plugged in for the baro sensor, I changed mine but apparently they are the same or close enough

on the PC1 the air temp sensor is in the VAM, the '87 and '88 used a sensor in the intake manifold

as far as the boost controller is concerned, get a boost gage and keep an eye on it, if you aren't going to intercool the engine it'll start pinging between 10 and 15psi depending on if you are using regular or midgrade gas... although mine might run better once I get injectors that work... or whatever the problem is

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
ok, thanks for clearing that up. less sensors to aquire is always a plus. i plan on running premium fuel, using a intercooler from a volvo and was goin to get a boost guage and a a/f guage, i like guages and knowing what the motor is doing at all times.

so correct me if im wrong here...the vam serves the purpose of metering the air and the air temp, two sensors in one. the baro sensor is just a fancy map sensor. this is where i get confused...i read somewhere that there was a sensor to record the temp of the air after intercooling, what is the nake of that sensor and where in the inlet stream would it go?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
that is used on the '87 and '88 engines, not with the '85-86 ECM you got, I think it is 3/8" pipe thread and goes in I think the #3 runner...

if you are going to run an intercooler you should be able to run 15psi on plus, save the extra 10 to 12 cents a gallon... mine only pings a little up at 15psi and I'm sucking my intake air right next to the turbo, without an intercooler...

the baro sensor is just a map sensor that only senses the barometric pressure to get an accurate guess on air density. if you get the flow and temperature as well as a guess on the outside conditions a good estimate can be made on the amount of air it is injesting, that with the oxygen sensor and it makes a decent system, would be better with sequential injection instead of batch firing but hey, it was the mid eighties...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals