• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

turbo kit

lone wolf garage

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
i want to put a turbo on my 92 2.3 ranger. standard cab. XLT. would like advice on what kit to use.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
750$ seems to get you a complete kit off ebay, intercooler and all.

I'm one to piece together my own kit though. Some of the components in those ebay kits aren't worth taking the gamble on IMO. Especially the wastegate. A lot of the Chinese wastegates will fail, and they fail in a fashion that leaves them stuck SHUT... which isn't good. Google "purpose of wastegate".

Another option is using factory turbo coupe components, computer and all. That solves the issue of tuning for boost.

The tuning issue is the big one you need to worry about. Everything else is gravy.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, that...

I haven't looked into any of the kits, the hard part is tuning since there is no one doing aftermarket tuning on that era Ford's unless you go megasquirt or whatever... You could likely put some stuff on your stock engine and step up a size of fuel injector and limit it to about 5psi boost and have a reliable setup though and avoid some of the tuning...

Me I went for thunderbird parts, I'm running a turbo engine rotating assembly and head with the Ranger crank sensor and ignition system with the Ranger wire harness with the needed changes made. If I were to start from scratch I'd put the turbo pistons in a Ranger block and have a more stock looking setup... I'll get there...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals