• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turbo charging a 5.0

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
With those goals....you can't lose. Will be fun and educational.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
:popcorn:
found it. For some reason, it wasn't there yesterday

....... or was it?

corerftech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have been on a wait list and got an email on Friday last week, a Volvo s40 arrived at my local yard. Went and pulled the EPAS pump/reservoir and complete mount. Like new. Got 4 feet of harness for it too. Funny, suspension bracket is stamped FoMoCo…. It was an 06 so Ford owned. Now why Ford doesn’t use them in other cars I just don’t know. It’s so clean and tiny. No PS pump or right side FEAD to be in the way clears a path better for turbo plumbing.

This week I intend to dismantle the left FEAD and figure out how I can bandsaw the alternator mount portion off and weld it in a new location on a substructure. I need it out of the way for turbo parts too. I want to keep the serpentine and the water pump (not electric) and keep the tensioner in service. I need the whole lower half of the FEAD cut off where the tensioner and idler are, need the right side idler gone (whole bracket that is) but still keep an automatic tensioner, factory water pump and the alternator in loop with pump going right direction. By removing both sides, sectioning the left alternator section out and then building a plate to span all six head bolts I “should” be able to great a mount plate that will support an idler/tens and alt, or maybe just the tens/alt.
I may just need to loose the left/bottom tens/idler and move them to a fabbed bracket on the right side head but keep it all inside the cyl head area and not protrude towards the manifold.

I was reviewing the belt diagram for AC/no AC for Exp FEAD and the water pump needs some descent angle from another pulley on smooth side to get sufficient belt wrap. That puts the pulleys in very specific places, IE, alt must be to left of center, or idler to left and either one must be well above center.
I have looked for solutions, on corral there is a guy who builds alt brackets for short and long nose pump use but I am Leary and it’s expensive. Mutilation and TIG welding is cheap.

I am on the fence about the need for a high output alternator for the EPAS. I have read 40a fuse required and am sure it uses all of that. There is no radio, no AC, no power accessories, no high demand otherwise. The headlights….. I would think 135A is sufficient even if the pump took half of it. How many Amps does an EFI system draw steady state at 6500 RPM on a V8 with injectors at 80 percent? Is there going to be an extra guaranteed 20A to charge the battery? Assuming worst case conditions are always present?

The easy logistics fix would be an electric water pump but the one I need from Meziere is like $750……. Nope! And another 10-15A steady state demand. And a level of unreliability.

One more part acquired for the truck (epas) and I am enthused about that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals