• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) Turbo build - 2.5 sohc - need some help

Ben Horrom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Alrighty it's been a while since an update

But I've pulled the engine and trans, bought another daily driver car (Ford focus) and started buying parts. Got crank resurfaced, pistons, rods, ordered rings, the gasket set, among some other things. I started painting the engine bay too. Just some rustoleum black. Also just got an email telling me my lowering kit arrived today. I'll post my 15inch wheels for sale and try to get some mustang rims sometime. I should be focusing on the engine aspect of it, but the rings (bought the turbo 2.3 rings from esslinger) are out of stock so they are gonna take a little longer than expected to arrive. While I was on essliner i ordered the ARP head studs too

I'm planning on buying injectors next, and I've heard that I can use the "brown top" fuel injectors...? I'm not exactly sure what I should buy. I think there pretty common Ford injector but I'm just wanting to double check before I order some knock off generic injectors that aren't the right ones. Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

Ben Horrom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I ordered the injectors and a fuel pump

Just found some remanufactured ones from the mercur xr4ti

And a walbro 190lph from a mustang pump

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I could have sworn I replied to this...

The brown top injectors are peak and hold (sometimes called low impedance I believe) type not high impedance like pretty much everything is expecting on modern computers, they don't generally have the amp output and signal style needed for... there's no good converter modules either unless you go with microsquirt or megasquirt which will handle either style...

Ben Horrom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sooo I can't use the injectors that I bought?

Ben Horrom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If I can't use these injectors then which ones should I get?

Rangerdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Im sorry I cant answer your question but I am curious to see where this goes as I am in the process of planning the exact same thing.

Ben Horrom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I actually think I figured it out. I returned the low impedance injectors and swapped them for some high impedance of similar power. The seller told me that most injectors are.universal? They fit my injector plug in my harness so I guess they will work. I have been making a lot of progress on my truck, the engine is ready to be assembled but I've been working on painting the frame and other things. Explorer axle that I bought was super rusty I got that cleaned up and it's ready to be fabbed up and installed after the clear coat I put on it.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
do you understand the rings and setting the gap right after reading the books?

this is a thing where an aftermarket ecu is a good idea. you can run boost on a 11 to 1 engine but timing and fuel and ring gap are critical....along with a catch can ect.

stinger has a nice piston set for about 800 bux complete with pins and ring package that will take an ass whooping...mid grade rods and some money in machining and balancing it all will be a wise investment.

last big build i seen in norwalk or...summit i guess now...the owner said he had 10 grand into it with the new processor...but it was running 11's just testing and looking to do 10.50s it was in a fairmont that was as beat to shit as my truck....usually those cars have v8 power.

looking into the ms systems and the 2.3 forums i would wager will help you more. what system are you tuning with?

Rangerdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Are you buying a new turbo manifold or making a locator pipe to attach to the stock manifold?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals