• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Turbo 4.0 or 302 swap?

TexasRebel

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2006
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Engine Size
4.0 in both
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
You live every day, you only die once...
So, for the past few weeks, I have been looking into turboing the 4.0 in my Ranger when I rebuild it, but now I am leaning back towards the 302 swap again. The cost of the turbo swap and the lack of good info about 4.0 turbo build are two of the main reasons. I would probably be getting about the same MPG out of it in the end, and if I wanted to upgrade the 302, there are a lot more parts out there for them. What do you guys think? I know a 4.0 turbo build would be cool, but I just don't think it's very logical for me at this point in time.

slomo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
leave it stock

TexasRebel

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2006
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Engine Size
4.0 in both
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
You live every day, you only die once...
leave it stock
The engine That's in it needs to be completely rebuilt, That's the only reason I'm debating an engine swap.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I think in terms of money spent, the turbo will be a bit more expensive as you will need to get a new or rebuild your current engine plus the money for the turbo and parts needed. the over all swap will be simpler in terms of drive train, but you still have to work out the intake and turbo fitment and the belt set up. So in that part it will be a bit harder, but if you want to blaze new trails, document the swap and do a write up, post it up for us! take lots of pictures and create a build thread.

If you want simplicity in the terms of not having to figure stuff out, there are quite a few 5.0/ 302 swap write ups and several people here have done them. but you will need a new transmission, new radiator, new computer etc etc...then you will have to shoehorn it all in. but like I said, that one is a follow the instructions and enjoy. and if you find a cheap donor (Baddis just scored a complete Mercury Mountaineer with the 5.0 for $350) you might come out ahead there...but figure about 800 to 1000 bucks for the 5.0 drivetrain.. then there is the little annoying things... but you will have them with the turbo as well.

AJ

Stromnoodle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If you could do the turbo implementation i would thank you and many other 4.0 owners would thank you.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If I were to do it, i'd go with the 5.0 V8. In 1991 I bought a new ranger 4.0 and i was looking into putting a supercharger on it. I think that would be better than turbo. However the cost was a lot. there's no replacement for displacement http://www.explorerexpress.com/-c-63.html :3gears:

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals