• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tune up

bbbb51

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a ? My truck ,a 2002 4.0, has 53000 miles on it and it has slowely been running a little worse than it used to. There are no check engine lights on. So the question is, what should I do to tune it up? Maybe plugs and a fuel filter is all I can think of. Also maybe clean the IAC and the EGR. It hasnt had plugs or anything done to it since I bought it, other than oil changes, and front brake pads.It is ideling bad and doesnt seem to have power like it used to. Also while I was waiting for food at the drive up ,it has some wierd smells coming from the exhaust.So what do u guys think I should do?

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It would not hurt to do plugs and fuel filter and oil change if needed. Check plug gaps / gap correctly.

About the smell. Is it fuel, oil, coolant? check all fluid levels.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
What follows is generic advice. I wouldn't know a 2002 Ranger from a 94 This rig doesnt have much highway, does it? I would give it new plugs and filters, air and fuel. Pay attention to the plugs you remove. They can tell you whats going on in the cylinders. the plugs you take out If that doesnt help, try some fuel injector cleaner, I have used Regane in the past and it used to have the highest PEA content. PEA is a very good detergent. But formulas are always changing. Use as directed. I would also give it an Italian tune up. Get the engine warm and drive it for an hour at high RPM in a lower gear. If you 're driving only a few miles a day, you should be changing the oil every 6 months.; If it is like the old 4.0 I have , the engine likes to rev. What you want to do is to burn the carbon off the valves and the piston crowns. If the oil got gunky, you may have a few stuck rings too. No big deal, an aggressive oil treatment will help them. This is all stuff you can do in your driveway. Cheap and easy stuff. If this doesnt fix it, post back.

Last edited:

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Plugs, (maybe even plug wires), air and fuel filters, pcv, and oil are all easy things you might as well change now. Also check your MAF and clean it if needed. Like Andy D said pay attention to what the old plugs look like.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
What follows is generic advice. I wouldn't know a 2002 Ranger from a 94 This rig doesnt have much highway, does it? I would give it new plugs and filters, air and fuel. Pay attention to the plugs you remove. They can tell you whats going on in the cylinders. the plugs you take out If that doesnt help, try some fuel injector cleaner, I have used Regane in the past and it used to have the highest PEA content. PEA is a very good detergent. But formulas are always changing. Use as directed. I would also give it an Italian tune up. Get the engine warm and drive it for an hour at high RPM in a lower gear. If you 're driving only a few miles a day, you should be changing the oil every 6 months.; If it is like the old 4.0 I have , the engine likes to rev. What you want to do is to burn the carbon off the valves and the piston crowns. If the oil got gunky, you may have a few stuck rings too. No big deal, an aggressive oil treatment will help them. This is all stuff you can do in your driveway. Cheap and easy stuff. If this doesnt fix it, post back.
No offense but most of this doesn't sound right...beware....:screwy:

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Not offended. I abbreviated PEA, because polyether amide is a PITA to type. 53 K miles in 10 yrs isnt very much and can cause all sorts of troubles if the miles were put on under 10 miles a trip.

bbbb51

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thx for your help guys. Yes most miles put on this truck were 10 to 15 miles a trip. Another thing I forgot to mention is if I run the stock tune I get egr codes.When running xcalibrator tunes no such codes come into play. To me thats kinda wierd. Does anyone know what that means, seems like it would bring up the same check engine light codes no matter what tune im running. Well now just need some cash so I can start doing all this needed maintenance. Again thx for all the help.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals