• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tucking 33's

jkeckss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys,
This is my first post, I just bought a 2007 Ranger Fx4 and am looking to tuck some 33's. I don't want to change the suspension at all for now. I was wondering if you can fit 33s in the rear without clearance issues, there looks to be a fair amount of room back there. For the front I am gonna go with fiberglass fenders for clearance.

Also any suggestions for some good offroad rims would be sweet to, I would like to widen the stance to come flush with the new fenders, which I was thinking will be somewhere around a 3 to 4" bulge, so any suggestions as to offset etc?

The plan, eventually when funds allow for it, will be some sort of long travel kit up front and deavers in the rear. Minimal lift, but big tires for ground clearance.

Thanks in advance!

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Alright, I'm not going to bust up your dreams, but I'll explain a few things to you. When you get fiberglass fenders, you do not widen out the tires to be flush with the new fenders, they have to be tucked in slightly to allow for clearance to turn full lock, especially with a long travel kit. Now, if you want to simply fit 33's, a body lift is the way to go on a newer 4x4, since lifting is not cheap. Some people crank the torsion bars, but that wears your front suspension and front cv's out a lot faster.

You can also get a Dixon Brothers setup, but they are expensive. Superlift makes a good lift for these trucks, too, it's around $1500.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
no, 33's will not fit stock.

32's wont.

31's will.

cragar rims, 4" back spacing, 15x8
33x12.5R15 LT tires
3" Performance accessories body lift

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Why don't you go to the search feature or go to the wheel and tire section? That's why we have so many neat things on this site so people can go view info and photos of lifts / tires / fab work. 33's can fit but you are gonna bust up stuff if you don't get at least a small amount of lift.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
i thought a guy on here had 35's with maxxed torsion crank, shackles and maybe a body lift

jkeckss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I hear what you guys are saying, I am looking for the time being to fit 33s without cranking the torsions up front because of the wear issues. Dixon bros kit is the plan for the future when the funds come but that will be a while, and that kit widens the stance 4.5 inches per side.

Actually the best way to show what I plan on to begin with is to check this link out:
http://www.prerunnermaniac.com/Prerunners/Prerunner-Features/Short-Course-Style-Prerunners.php

This explains it pretty well, what I was really asking is if the rear will clear the tires so I don't have to buy the fiberglass bedsides right away. I do plan on buying fiberglass front fenders which should fix any clearance issues there I believe (as they stuffed 35s with torsion cranking in the article, and I only plan on 33s).

As for widening my stance I will not use 3" spacers like the article above, but I was looking to get some rims that will widen er a bit, recommendations for how much I should go would be nice, especially if flush isn't a good idea.

Thanks again!

jkeckss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Why don't you go to the search feature or go to the wheel and tire section? That's why we have so many neat things on this site so people can go view info and photos of lifts / tires / fab work. 33's can fit but you are gonna bust up stuff if you don't get at least a small amount of lift.
Ya I don't want to be the guy asking questions that are already answered, I have looked around a fair bit but haven't really seen much specifically about fitting 33s on the rear in particular, I know the front won't fit but the rear looks to have way more room.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Ya I don't want to be the guy asking questions that are already answered, I have looked around a fair bit but haven't really seen much specifically about fitting 33s on the rear in particular, I know the front won't fit but the rear looks to have way more room.
Haaaa, just jack up the rear and run around like that....lol. You will be different. The rear is easy to lift. Small block lift...cheap. But rear add-a-leafs are cool. I run Procomp 4 1/2 inch leafs and I love the ride. You can run Explorer leafs and Chevy leafs. Check out the lift forum area. To get that front up you are going to have to get a lift. You can cut the hell out of the front fenders for clearance but you are going to wack some suspension components. Look at Ebay for your 2007 Ranger and see what there is there. I bought a lot of stuff on Ebay and have never had any issues with my suspension. I run 33x12.5's T/A tires on my lifted 2wd truck. I bought my 99 Ranger new in July of 99 and lifted it the next summer of 2000. I never had any issues with the components I bought. I bought everything on Ebay. Coil springs, Fabtech spindle lift and the Procomp rear leaf kit.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I got 33's under my truck stock.... no T bar crank or anything... Then again with the stepside bed you don't have the fender flares so you gain some room there.

jkeckss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
sweet :headbang: well best i can do is try it and make mods if i need, I would rather not but if it needs doing i can later

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Its not the rear tires that are the problem, it is the front. The rear tires do not have to turn. I really would limit the tire size unless you plan on trimming your fenders and cranking the torsion bars hard. Besides, the extra tire is going to be hard on your drivetrain. I have 4.10 gears (I'm sure you do to) and I won't go bigger than 265/75-16 (which is what I run). Someday if I do lift it and run 33 I'll end up regearing so the truck doesn't feel like a pooch.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
The rear will tuck 35's before they start to rub badly. With the fiberglass up front you should have no issues running 33's, and probably 35's with a torsion bar crank.

Running a high offset rim to match the fenders will kill wheel bearings quick, so I'd stick with an 8" rim and save for the suspension upgrade later to bring the width out.

jkeckss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Good idea, thanks for the input! Any idea where the best place to get the front glass is on the praries? Shipping is ridiculous

jkeckss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Its not the rear tires that are the problem, it is the front. The rear tires do not have to turn. I really would limit the tire size unless you plan on trimming your fenders and cranking the torsion bars hard. Besides, the extra tire is going to be hard on your drivetrain. I have 4.10 gears (I'm sure you do to) and I won't go bigger than 265/75-16 (which is what I run). Someday if I do lift it and run 33 I'll end up regearing so the truck doesn't feel like a pooch.
Yeah thats why I wont go 35s cuz I dont want to regear, my brother is just starting a turbo project on a Triton.. if that goes well I may try to do something to this thing to wake it up again later. With 4.10 if you up to 33s its effectively like having 3.73s or so, which I am hoping wont be bad.

And yeah for front clearance I am gonna try out fiberglass fenders.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I got mine outta Cali, through Chad McNeil. I paid $500 shipped for a pair.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals