• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

tube bumper/skid plate bulid

swickwake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
we all know tha
Engine Size
4 Point Big O
Transmission
Automatic
this thread has been down and is now fixed
i built this bumper back in October and have not found time since then to work on it. this is what i did. every thing in this build is all mine from the cutting, to the bending, and the welding of aluminum and steel.

this is what i stated with. i decided to play chicken with a tree

the original mounts cut. used the trusty plasma

building the mounting box

yes during this build i had to sleeve three times. one in the lower hoop and twice on the main horizontal bar.

for the time being i have my tranny cooler mounted on to the bumper right now in the process of relocating it with an new cooler up behind the grill

i found the skid plate in the back of my shop 1/4 aluminum

got it all cut to fit

need some air flow

this bumper is completely removable. there are four mounting points. all the hardware is grade 8

lower mount

passenger side mounts the driver side mounts are the exact same.

uppermost mount

mostly done/done

some of my welding. this was the first time i started welding after a couple years. i used the hobart 140 .35 flux wire. i run 75/25 argon/carbon mix gas most of the time but did not have the money to rent the tank or pay for the gas.

still need to add the lower skid plate.

and i plan on building another one latter on. so i am looking for froward to all the constrictive criticism so i can build a better one.

shane

poda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow that thing looks strong, how much does it weigh? :icon_thumby: to bad the cooler has to go there though. are rear bumper plans on the future?

RaceRanger97

April 2009 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
looks great man!

swickwake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
we all know tha
Engine Size
4 Point Big O
Transmission
Automatic
Wow that thing looks strong, how much does it weigh? :icon_thumby: to bad the cooler has to go there though. are rear bumper plans on the future?

thanks for the complements guys

it weighs about 50 to 80lbs and yes there are plans for a rear bumper.

shane

josh03edge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
WOW!!! thats gotta be the best custom job i've ever seen on the danger ranger! i've been callin several of the local fabrication shops but their pricing is madness would you be interested in makin another one? im out in San Diego, CA so don't know bout shipping but let me know what u think it might cost if ur interested

bmxryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
wow good job man. im building a bumper in welding school right now its goin to be pretty similar except im going to be lazy and weld it straight to the frame. props on doing to the work to make it bolt on :icon_thumby:

looks like you stick welded it. did you?

swickwake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
we all know tha
Engine Size
4 Point Big O
Transmission
Automatic
WOW!!! thats gotta be the best custom job i've ever seen on the danger ranger! i've been callin several of the local fabrication shops but their pricing is madness would you be interested in makin another one? im out in San Diego, CA so don't know bout shipping but let me know what u think it might cost if ur interested
your in luck i am in the process designing some that will bolt to the stock mounts. i will post up and pm you when they are ready.

wow good job man. im building a bumper in welding school right now its goin to be pretty similar except im going to be lazy and weld it straight to the frame. props on doing to the work to make it bolt on :icon_thumby:

looks like you stick welded it. did you?
nice dude. :icon_cheers:
no i didn't stick weld it. its all flux core but technically the same thing. the reason why i did it in flux is that gas and renting of the tank was ubber expensive.

koa's93ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
your in luck i am in the process designing some that will bolt to the stock mounts. i will post up and pm you when they are ready.

how much you plan on charging for them? im interested in buying one thats cheaper then the expensive ass ones that the offroad shops sell here in vegas.

where are you located?

bmxryder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
how much you plan on charging for them? im interested in buying one thats cheaper then the expensive ass ones that the offroad shops sell here in vegas.QUOTE]

haha ya woolworth is alittle outta line huh?

Swickwake, you should have rented the gas... welds come out so nice with it, but it looks like yours are plenty strong.

P.S. you need to wire wheel them dingle berries off :D

swickwake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
we all know tha
Engine Size
4 Point Big O
Transmission
Automatic
how much you plan on charging for them? im interested in buying one thats cheaper then the expensive ass ones that the offroad shops sell here in vegas.

where are you located?
i really dont know right now it depends on what metal is when i buy it. pricing things so far its going to look like 350 to 500. i am going to produce like 4 or 5to start with and see how the customers like them. right now things are slow due to school but next month things are going to ramp up.

and porterville is hour south of fresno.

how much you plan on charging for them? im interested in buying one thats cheaper then the expensive ass ones that the offroad shops sell here in vegas.QUOTE]

haha ya woolworth is alittle outta line huh?

Swickwake, you should have rented the gas... welds come out so nice with it, but it looks like yours are plenty strong.

P.S. you need to wire wheel them dingle berries off :D
hey the dingle berries give it that costume look

i totally wish i had the two hundred bucks to rent the gas. i love the way my welds look with the 75/25 mix. supper clean and no DINGLE BERRIES!!!!! :icon_thumby:

swickwake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
we all know tha
Engine Size
4 Point Big O
Transmission
Automatic

in this pic the vert down is welded with gas.

dave@threat

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Cool bumper! You should be able to sell them for right around $200.00 or so since material has come down again. Here is one i made for a friend a while ago with fully boxed frame horns. If you make custom frame horns it really speeds up the assembly time. Especially if someone wants tube placement in different locations like my buddy did. I made this one in about 2 1/2 hrs. Keep up the good work its looking good!

swickwake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
we all know tha
Engine Size
4 Point Big O
Transmission
Automatic
^^^^ a complement coming from some one who is in the industry i really appreciate that

way ahead of you on the design. right now i am creating a jig that will allow me to be able to have custom placement of the main horizontal tube.

josh03edge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
thanks swickwake...look forward to it

DLABdan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
are there plates behind the upper mounts? Im having my buddy design me one and i have no idea where to put the mounts. could possibly post some detailed pics of the mounting brackets?

very nice bumper design

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals